It can be difficult to know how to clean the toilet in the best way, but with the right cleaning products it can be surprisingly easy to get the job done. This article contains information on all the products you should keep in your cleaning cupboard to clean your toilet, as well as advice on how to clean the toilet seat, the toilet bowl, and other surfaces.
Toilet Cleaning Supplies
To start, you’ll need to stock your cleaning cupboard with general cleaning materials:
- Paper towels, microfibre cloths, sponges, and rubber gloves are always good things to have. These are used to clean the outer surface of the toilet and a pair of rubber gloves will protect your hands during the process. It’s a good idea to have one pair of rubber gloves for the bathroom and another pair for the kitchen; this way, you can prevent the spread of harmful bacteria and germs between the bathroom and kitchen.
- You’ll also need a toilet brush – this will be your primary tool to deal with cleaning the bowl of the toilet itself. It’s a good idea to invest in a good quality toilet brush, as it will last for a long time and won’t need to be replaced.
- For the main task, you’ll need a liquid toilet cleaner which is applied to the inside of the bowl. There are many liquid toilet cleaners, like products by Domestos, available on the market that will effectively clean and disinfect your toilet.
- For wiping down the outside of the toilet, you will need an all-purpose cleaning product (which you can apply with a paper towel or cloth) or a packet of cleaning wipes – it’s a good idea to go for an anti-bacterial option to eliminate germs. These are very useful for cleaning external fittings such as flush handles, and for getting into hard-to-reach cracks and crevices.
- You can use bleach or a disinfectant to sanitize the toilet brush when you’re not using it – just put a little bleach (diluted with water) into the toilet brush container, swirl the brush around, and leave to soak for 30 minutes, then flush the toilet and rinse the brush in the water.
Toilet Cleaning Tips
It’s important that you know what to do with these products. Remember to always follow the manufacturer’s guidelines on the label and ventilate the room. Here are some handy hints to keep in mind when cleaning the toilet:
- Most toilet cleaners should be left for at least 15 minutes before being scrubbed or flushed away. This allows them to remove dirt, limescale, and fungi more effectively.
- Remember to apply the product under the rim of the toilet bowl for maximum efficiency.
- Always use rubber gloves to protect your skin.
- Because they are disposable, paper towels or anti-bacterial wipes are very good to use when cleaning the outside of the toilet. If you are using a sponge or cloth instead, make sure to clean and disinfect it after use.