Getting the flu can leave you bed-bound for days. That’s why it’s important to learn how to prevent the flu and manage the symptoms of flu with home remedies for a speedy recovery.
What is the flu?
The flu is a highly contagious virus that affects the respiratory tract. The symptoms are similar to a cold, but the flu is more debilitating. A high temperature, body aches, fatigue, sneezing, a runny nose and coughing are all symptoms of flu. Because it’s a virus, it does not respond to antibiotics.
Flu spreads through people breathing flu-infected droplets, which can be passed on through sneezing and coughing. Germs can stay on surfaces and hands for 24 hours, so it’s important to sanitise surfaces that you regularly touch.
Flu prevention tips
- Regularly wash your hands after sneezing or coughing
- Regularly sanitise household surfaces using a powerful cleaner like Jif or Domestos
- Use anti-bacterial wet wipes to clean devices such as laptops, smartphones and doorknobs
- Cough or sneeze into tissues and dispose of them immediately
- Check if a flu vaccination is available before ‘flu season’ lands