You may have heard the term ‘feng shui’ a lot but are not sure what it means or how it can transform your home. The guiding principles behind feng shui are balance, positive energy and flow. Here are some feng shui tips to add balance and harmony to your bedroom and living room.
Feng Shui meaning
The literal translation of Feng Shui is “wind” (Feng) and “Water” (Shui). It’s an ancient Chinese, Taoist philosophy that is all about maintaining a positive flow of energy and a balance in the home to improve wellness, health and wealth. All elements in the house should be arranged in a way that promotes harmony.
Central to feng shui is the concept of ‘the Chi’ or ‘flow’. Each room should encourage a good flow, which means that spaces should be easy to move around without resistance, clutter or misplaced furniture that will make you stub your toe! If you imagine wind-water flowing through your house, how easily would it be able move and flow through your rooms?
Feng Shui Bedroom
The secret to the feng shui bedroom is a room that is harmonious and peaceful. There are some simple guidelines for enhancing wellness such as:
- Closing all doors at night including wardrobes and drawers to keep good energy in the room
- Open windows or use an air purifier to allow fresh air to flow through the room
- Remove all electronic devices from the bedroom to create a feeling of calm
- Create symmetry by each bed, with a bedside table next to each side
- The bedroom should not be placed directly in front of a door
- Creating soothing aromas in the bedroom by lighting scented candles and using fabric softener to wash your sheets