Ants don’t just invade cartoon picnics, they invade homes – and they are a common, troublesome problem. This simple 3-step guide on how to get rid of ants naturally can help you ensure that they won’t become a problem.
Step 1: Don’t Just Get Rid of Ants, Stop them from Entering
You don’t have to see ants around to get rid of them – prevention is the best solution. Avoid an ant invasion before it even happens; it’s your best bet for a relaxed, ant-free life.
Ants are attracted to food sources, so your kitchen is usually every ant’s preferred destination, especially if you have food lying around. If you don’t want to be faced with those little monsters, read this list and make it a part of your daily routine. But if you already have ants and you’re wondering how to get rid of ants in the kitchen, try step 3.
- Cover any food that doesn’t belong in the fridge.
- Wash your dishes on the same day, and teach your children to do the same (even if they aren’t too happy about it).
- Take out the trash on a daily basis.
- Wipe away any excess water on the counter, as ants like to stay near water sources.
- Sweep your floors regularly, especially in the kitchen and under the dining table.
Step 2: How to Get Rid of Ants Through Observation
If ants still manage to find their way into your home, don’t worry. The most important tool in your quest on how to get rid of ants in the kitchen is observation. Start with the below:
- Try to identify where the ants enter your home – it’s usually through a window, door or crack in the wall. You can use a magnifying class to better track them.
- Most people don’t have time to wait around watching ants, and who really wants to? It’s a time-consuming process, but it will be worth it in the end. If you want to speed up the process, leave something sweet out as bait.
- When you find the trail, follow the ants to find their nest.
- Now that you’ve found the nest, it’s time to get rid of it to eliminate the root of the problem.
- Using a blender, mix several pieces of orange peel with around 120 ml of warm water. Pour the mixture on top of the ant nest.
Step 3: Take Action and Get Rid of Ants
Taking action is the final solution for how to get rid of ants in the house naturally. Finding the nest isn’t always possible, so there are some alternative actions you can take.
The good thing about these solutions is that they are all natural as well as pet and child friendly – and you probably already have them around!
- A homemade remedy you could try is a mixture of water and white vinegar. Put the mixture in a spray bottle and spray the trails of ants you spot in your kitchen. Use this mixture to wipe down the counters on a regular basis to keep them ultra clean and prevent any future infestations.
- Another nifty solution is to use soapy water: mix a capful of liquid soap with a cup of water and put it in a spray bottle. Spray the mixture directly on ants whenever you see them. When they’re caught in the mixture, wipe them out after five minutes, as this will help you remove them easily.
- If you remove ants by using a cleaning product, like Jif, make sure to clean the surface afterwards to destroy the scent trail, so more ants don’t follow. That way, ants will be less likely to come back.
If you’ve been battling these six-legged visitors, have no fear – these simple steps can rid your home of ants for good.