Keeping your hairbrushes and combs in good condition will not only help you to look great but is important for personal hygiene too. Plus, if you clean your hairbrushes regularly, they can last up to 3 years! Follow our guide to learn how to remove hair from hair brush bristles and how to clean hairbrushes and combs with everyday products you have at home.
How to remove hair from hairbrush bristles
In order to remove hair from hairbrush bristles you have to be thorough. Start at the bottom of your brush and use a comb to lift away the hair strands. You may also need scissors to remove heavily tangled hair from hairbrush bristles, especially if there are big clumps. Be careful to avoid damaging your brush.
Method 1: How to clean hairbrushes with detergent
Perhaps the easiest way to clean hairbrushes is with mild detergents, such as OMO – here’s how:
- Start off by dampening the bristles with warm water.
- Give them a gentle rub with your hand.
- Grab a bowl of warm, soapy water and use an old toothbrush to get into all the little spaces.
- Soak the brush if there’s anything stubborn.
- Give it all a good rinse and leave to dry naturally.
Method 2: How to clean hairbrushes with baking soda
- Want to know how to clean hairbrushes with baking soda instead of detergent? It’s actually very easy and comes in really handy when you’ve got stubborn grime to get rid of.
- Mix a teaspoon of baking soda with a teaspoon of shampoo.
- Add warm water.
- Use your old toothbrush to spread the mixture between the bristles. The slightly abrasive properties of baking soda will remove grit and grime.
- Finish with a thorough rinse and set aside to dry.
Method 3: How to clean hairbrushes with vinegar
Hairbrush bristles are prone to picking up bacteria, so cleaning them with white vinegar is a great way to disinfect hairbrushes while avoiding damage. Here’s how to do it:
- Soak your brush in a solution made from equal parts of white vinegar and warm water.
- Scrub the bristles with a clean toothbrush to get into small areas.
- Rinse thoroughly in clean water and allow your hairbrush to dry naturally.
How to clean wooden combs and hairbrushes
Need to clean more than just hairbrushes? While the above methods will work well on most hairbrushes or combs made of plastic, different tips are needed for wooden hairbrushes and combs:
- Be gentle and never immerse them in water for a long time.
- Rub a small amount of detergent on the top of the comb teeth or bristles and spread it with your finger.
- Rinse gently – using a small amount of water or a cloth dipped in water.
- Gently scrub with a soft bristled brush if dirt remains and rinse again.
- Pat dry with kitchen towels.
And that’s it – everything you need to know about how to clean wooden combs or plastic hairbrushes. Once you know how to clean hairbrushes and combs, as well as how to disinfect hairbrush parts, you can make sure your accessories stay at their best.
Our key steps help show how to clean hairbrushes effectively:
- Remove all tangled hair before cleaning.
- Use an old toothbrush to get between the bristles.
- Use baking soda to remove excess grime and white vinegar to disinfect.
- Be gentle when cleaning wooden combs and hairbrushes.
- Always rinse and dry thoroughly before use.