Turmeric has a very striking yellow colour; it looks great on your plate, but you probably don’t want it on your clothes. So how do you remove turmeric stains? Here’s how to get turmeric stains out of clothes.
How to remove turmeric stain from clothes
First of all, act quickly! Getting turmeric stains out becomes a lot easier if you don’t give the stain time to set.
- Brush or blot away any food that’s on your clothes using paper towels. Try not to spread the stain.
- Wash the area with cold running water. Apply a detergent such as OMO directly to the stain.
- Don’t rub it in!
- Leave the detergent to sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash the garment normally.
- Alternatively, you can use Jif Everywhere Spray as a pre-treatment – apply directly to the stain and rinse before washing the fabric thoroughly.
If you are washing your clothes in the washing machine, remember to check the care label for best results. Our guide on understanding care labels can help you with this.
Remember! When using a new method of cleaning on an item of clothing always test it on an inconspicuous area first to avoid any damage to the fabric.
How to remove turmeric stain from white clothes
If your clothes are white, you may be able to use bleach to get rid of turmeric stains. Check in advance that bleach is suitable for the item and never use bleach on coloured clothes, silk or wool.
- Prepare a solution of equal parts water and bleach.
- Blot away as much of the turmeric as possible.
- Rest the stained area in the bleach solution and let it soak for 15 minutes.
- Rinse the item in cool water. Wash it as usual immediately.
How to remove turmeric stain without cleaning products
Sometimes you don’t have detergent to hand, so how do you remove turmeric stains when you’re away from home?
If you are eating out you can try applying lemon juice directly to the stain. This won’t remove it entirely, and you’ll still need to treat the stain properly when you get home, but it can help to reduce the stain’s severity.
Baking soda can also help to remove turmeric stains from clothes if you want to try a gentler method than those mentioned above. Once you’ve blotted away as much turmeric as possible, follow the steps:
- Mix baking soda with a little water to make a paste.
- Gently scrub the stain with the paste, using a soft cloth or an old toothbrush.
- Leave the paste for a few minutes. Rinse it away and wash the item normally.
Turmeric can be a tough stain to tackle but our tips should help you to remove turmeric stains from clothes easily next time they occur!
Remember these main tips when you next remove turmeric stains from clothes:
- Remove excess turmeric from the area as soon as possible.
- Treat the stain with detergent or baking soda.
- After treating, wash the garment immediately.