Using baking soda for cleaning
Baking soda is one of the most versatile, inexpensive and effective cleaning products. This simple white powder can help to unblock sinks, remove stains from clothes and neutralise unpleasant odours. But what makes baking soda such a powerful substance? Here is your introduction to why baking soda is your reliable all-purpose cleaner for every room in your house.
Introduction to baking powder for cleaning
Baking soda consists of bicarbonate of soda, a natural, alkaline substance that can be used to dissolve dirt, act as a gentle abrasive and neutralise acidic odours. As it’s a gentle and natural substance, it’s a seen as a safe and effective alternative to commercial cleaners that can sometimes be harsh on surfaces and skin.
Baking soda can be prepared in different ways depending on what you want to clean:
- Sprinkling the substance as it is on a surface to clean them
- Dissolving it in water to create a paste that you can apply to stains
- Adding it to other cleaning agents, such as laundry detergent, to enhance their effectiveness
- Mixing it with other substances like vinegar or bleach to create homemade cleaning agents
Common baking soda uses
- Removing stains on fabrics: create a paste out of baking soda, detergent and cold water and apply to stains to soak up excess liquid, neutralise acidic odours and brighten fabrics.
- Unblock a sink: baking soda, white vinegar and hot water are fantastic ways of breaking down dirt and helping to unblock drains.
- Softening clothes: baking soda can be used as a fabric conditioner by adding a cup of it to your usual wash.
- Clean a refrigerator: baking soda is an enemy of unpleasant smells that are caused by rotten food, which is why it’s particularly good for cleaning fridges by sprinkling it on wet surfaces.
- Cleaning a microwave: fill a microwavable container with water and two tablespoons of baking powder then microwave it for 2-3 minutes. The baking soda will soften food stains and neutralise odours, making it easy to clean with a cloth.
These are just a few examples of baking powder uses that will help you tackle common cleaning tasks. But you’d be hard pressed to find a cleaning problem that baking soda help you with. That’s why it’s one of the most popular and powerful cleaning hacks in the world.