Try these food waste tips to start your food waste reduction journey:
- Shop smart by writing a list from your meal plan and sticking to it.
- Store food properly, and remove spoiled foods straight away.
- Use all the food you buy – share meals with others to avoid waste.
- Reuse leftovers for other meals and experiment with your dishes.
- Turn scraps into stock to get as much use from your ingredients as possible.
Reducing our food waste has two positive outcomes – it helps us take care of the planet and also saves us money. We’ve got a few clever food waste tips to help you in your food waste reduction journey, from shopping the smart way to using leftovers and scraps.
How to reduce food waste: 5 smart solutions
How can we reduce waste at home? It can seem like a daunting task, but we can all make small changes to take the first step on our journey. Here are 5 of the best food waste solutions to start with.
1. The waste reduction start when shopping
You can start by changing the way you shop for food. Here’s how:
- Create a meal plan so you know exactly what ingredients you need.
- Use your meal plan to write your shopping list. Add everyday essentials like rice bread and milk or laban.
- When you go shopping, stick to your list. Try not to be tempted by offers.
2. Food waste: Tips to use everything you buy!
One of the easiest ways to reduce waste at home is to make sure you use all of the fresh produce you’ve bought. According to an article on By The East, Dubai is aiming to be the “first city to target ‘zero food wastage’ amongst its neighbours” and most Middle East residents are aware of the environmental impacts of food waste so the motivation is already here!
Making food stretch further is common throughout Ramadan so remember to apply these food-saving techniques all year through:
- Don’t throw out food unnecessarily.
- Buy only what you need and use it all.
- If fresh produce is in danger of going off, cook with it and either store safely to consumer later or share with neighbours.
3. Using leftovers to make more meals is one of the ways to reduce waste!
Leftovers may not always look appetising but that doesn’t mean they don’t taste good! Instead of throwing them away, use them for another meal. This frugal approach to food ensures that you get the most out of every dish and could even open up new ideas for batch cooking. This is one of the simplest ways to reduce waste in your kitchen.
4. Food waste recycling idea: Make stock with scraps!
There are some leftovers from food preparation that can’t always be eaten but that doesn’t mean they have to go straight in the bin either. A clever food waste recycling hack that brings new life to the ends, peels and stalks of leftover bits of veg is to put them in homemade stock! This is a double win, as it saves you money by not having to buy pre-made stock and it helps in your food waste reduction.
5. The last but not least food waste solutions: Store food carefully
Sometimes the way we store food means it goes bad quicker than it should – and before we get a chance to use it. Put these food waste prevention tips in place to ensure your food storage is spot on:
- Check the temperature of your fridge and place items on the correct shelf.
- Keep foods like bananas and tomatoes away from apples, berries and peppers – the ethylene gas produced as the former group ripen can spoil the latter group.
- Keep potatoes and onions separately in dry, dark places to help lengthen their life.
With these easy ways to reduce food waste, you can make small changes and start saving money as well as helping to save the environment. For more tips on how to live a green life, read this Cleanipedia article.