Clean grease stains and food spillage quickly and wash dishes as soon as possible in summer months to make your home less attractive to cockroaches.
Nobody likes unwanted houseguests in summer … especially when they’re of the insect variety. Unfortunately, cockroaches often enter our homes when the weather heats up but there are ways to learn how to prevent cockroaches from entering your home. Follow these tips – which focus on how to get rid of cockroaches naturally – and leave the harsh chemicals in the cupboard.
How to get rid of cockroaches naturally
You should always treat a cockroach infestation as soon as you notice it. Sometimes you might need to consult a professional pest control service, but if the infestation is caught early enough then you should be able to tackle it yourself.
Here are a few tips on how to get rid of cockroaches naturally:
- Clean the kitchen. Clean up any spillages as cockroaches are attracted to food and grease. Remember to wash your dishes as well.
- Fix any leaks. Cockroaches can go without food for a long time, but they can only go for a few days without access to water. You often find cockroaches in areas where there is potentially a leak or a drip in the water pipes so check yours thoroughly.
- Make use of the air conditioning. Cockroaches prefer warm temperatures – that’s why they’re so active in summer. Keep your home cool with fans and air conditioning, and open windows (using netting to keep any critters out).
- Set a cockroach trap. If you find an infestation of cockroaches you can remove them with a homemade trap. Mix one part icing sugar with three parts boric acid and put it on a plate near the centre of the infestation – the cockroaches will come for a taste of the sugar, but the boric acid will kill them.
While boric acid isn’t toxic to humans or pets, it is an irritant. Make sure you keep it out of reach of children and animals, and wear protecting clothing when handling it. Wash your hands thoroughly after any contact with it.
How to prevent cockroaches naturally
Getting rid of cockroaches is one thing, but how can you prevent them from becoming a problem?
- Keep your home clean. A clean home is one of the easiest ways of preventing cockroaches. Stock up on cleaning essentials like Jif, Domestos and dishwashing liquid, give your home a deep clean each week, and tidy little messes as they occur.
- Keep your bathroom and kitchen dry. Dry spaces make for unhappy cockroaches, so wipe down surfaces in the kitchen and bathroom so that they dry out quicker.
- Fill in cracks and crevices. Cockroaches use cracks in the walls to enter your home. Keep an eye out for any gaps in your walls and fill them with a suitable sealant.
These are some simple but effective solutions to managing cockroach infestations. As you can see, learning how to get rid of cockroaches naturally and how to prevent cockroaches doesn’t need to take a huge amount of effort, as long as you stick to a few simple habits. And remember: no-one will judge you for shuddering and letting out little yelps while dealing with cockroaches!
- Keep your home clean and deal with spillages as soon as they occur
- Fix any leaks and drips and keep wet spaces like your bathroom dry, especially after taking showers and baths
- Seal up any cracks in the walls where cockroaches might enter
- Keep your home at a lower temperature to keep any cockroaches sluggish and easier to get rid of