Allergies, and the symptoms that come with them, are a part of everyday life for lots of people all over the world. There are some easy ways to prevent allergies at home and protect you and your family from allergic reactions.
What causes allergies?
An allergy is when your immune system reacts to a foreign substance that doesn’t cause a reaction in most people. People suffer from a variety of allergies from being allergic to pets to having a mould allergy. They can also be caused by exposure to pollens, fur, or spores.
What are pet and mould allergy symptoms?
Pet and mould allergy symptoms are similar, so it should be easy to spot someone who suffers from a mould allergy or has an allergic reaction to the pets in your home.
- Blocked or runny nose
- Watery or itchy eyes
- Itchy throatand nose
- Dry or scaly skin or eczema
If you have a pet or mould allergy, it could also trigger asthma symptoms including:
- Shortness of breath
- Chest tightness
Make sure to always test any new product or method on a small, inconspicuous area first before using and read the instructions carefully!
Five ways to prevent allergies and treat the symptoms
If you suffer from allergies, you may be looking for a quick fix. Unfortunately, learning how to get rid of cat allergies, mould allergies, or other common allergies may not be as straightforward as you think and it really depends on your individual situation and reaction.
Instead, one of the easiest ways to deal with allergies in the home is to take steps to prevent a flare up. This means finding ways to eliminate allergens and alleviating allergy symptoms through basic preventative measures – like cleaning!
Here are five of the easiest ways to help you manage your allergies:
- Regularly disinfect your home. Wash all surfaces that you and your family regularly come into contact with using household cleaner such as . Make sure that you read the safety instructions when using a disinfectant product like Domestos and use in a well-ventilated area.
- Wash your hands regularly. The spores, pollens and fur which cause allergic reactions can be carried to new surfaces on your hands, so washing them can prevent future reactions.
- Change your bedding as often as possible. Cleaning your bed linen should be an important part of your routine, however it’s especially important if you or your family suffer from a dust mite or mould allergy. Bedding can harbour dust mites, spores, pollens and fur which cause allergic reactions.
- Invest in an air purifier for allergies. Using an air purifier can help reduce the levels of air borne allergens like spores, pet dander and dust mites in your home. This will help to minimise the allergy symptoms that you have to suffer.
- Vacuum linens more often. Furnishing like curtains and cushions can trap allergens in their fibres so it’s best to give them a thorough vacuum on a regular basis and then disinfect them on a slightly longer schedule.
From knowing mould allergy symptoms to how to get rid of cat allergies and easy tips to follow to prevent allergic reactions; you now have the information and steps you need to help you protect your family from allergic reactions.