- Change your registered address at the bank, GP and any other private practitioners before you move, to avoid confidential post arriving at your old place when you’re not there.
- Tell your telephone and Internet service providers in advance so you can hit the ground running in your new home.
- It is a legal requirement to notify the correct authority of an address change for your driving license and vehicle registration. You have until 14 days after your move to sort this.
- When you start packing, consider donating items you don’t have room for or won’t be taking with you. Old furniture, electronics and appliances that need replacing can all be recycled or given to charity. Arrange this in advance for bulkier items so that you don’t carry them somewhere on an unnecessary journey.
- Change your details on the electoral roll.
- Arrange for your post to be forwarded to your new address. Contact the post office about this.
- If you have kids or pets then hire a babysitter and/or pet sitter for the day. This will save you and your little ones a lot of stress and confusion.
- Arrange a time to pick up your new keys with your estate agent, preferably the day before the move so you can get started early. Check the property thoroughly when you first enter it and don’t rush in with furniture straight away. Check you’re happy with the condition of the property and locate the fuse box early on in case you’re unfortunate to suffer a blackout mid-move.
There you have it. A comprehensive checklist for moving house that clearly lays out what to do when moving house. Don’t forget, once you’ve made it from one home to the next, to give your new place a quick clean to ensure a lovely fresh start. You’ll find a good quality versatile, all-purpose cleaner such as Jif will come in handy for a wide range of jobs, particularly in the bathroom and kitchen. Just follow the directions on the label and always test any cleaning products on a small area first.
Then, all that’s left is the final task on your house moving checklist: settle in with a cold drink!