Keep your awning stretched as far as possible while cleaning it – otherwise grime can build up in the creases causing stains and damage to the waterproofing.
Cleaning awning can seem a little daunting, as it’s a vast area that’s hard to reach, not to mention easily forgotten. Worry not, though – we’ve got some pointers on how to clean awning to make your life easier and your awning a prettier sight.
How to clean canvas awning
One of the most important things about awning maintenance is to do it regularly. Don’t leave it until your awning is clearly in need of a wash – a little regular maintenance goes a long way. Follow these tips on how to clean your awning:
- Open your awning fully and wipe with a cloth dipped in clean water
- Use warm soapy water or a specialist canvas cleaner to remove stains – wiping gently with a sponge or soft cloth
- Treat mould with a mixture of 1 part bleach, like Domestos, and 4 parts lukewarm water. Dip a sponge into the mixture and wipe across the awning before rinsing with a clean cloth soaked in plain water
- Leave the awning fully extended to dry and apply a waterproofing product as needed (chemicals such as bleach may damage this aspect of your awning)
How to clean vinyl awning
If you’re cleaning awning made from vinyl, it’s a good idea to turn to a specifically formulated product. Follow the instructions on the product label and remember to be gentle, even though vinyl is generally stronger than canvas. Once again, leave the awning fully extended to dry to prevent mould, watermarks, and stains from forming.
Follow these awning maintenance tips to get the most out of your summer and learn how to clean vinyl awnings and those made from other fabrics. Don’t forget to check out our other tips for looking after your home and garden either – we’ve got everything you need to know to help enjoy the good weather and protect your house against bad weather.
- Stretch awning out as far as it will go
- Opt for soapy water and a sponge over stronger products. If you’re dealing with vinyl awning, you may need to pick up a specially formulated product from the store
- Spot-clean stains by placing a sponge soaked in warm water and dishwashing liquid
- Leave the awning stretched out while it dries