Key steps to get rid of flies
Get rid of flies, and keep them away, by following our key steps:
- Keep a clean environment so there’s no food or sticky substances to attract flies.
- Set up traps to contain flies - homemade flypaper or vinegar traps work well.
- Keep windows and doors closed as much as possible to reduce the risk of flies entering the home.
Flies love warmth and moisture, so when the seasons heat up it’s an ideal time to learn how to keep flies away from your house. Ready to discover the best way to keep flies away? Here are 5 ways to keep flies away from your home.
1. How to get rid of flies by keeping your home clean
Flies are attracted to anything sticky as well as food crumbs so cleaning is a key way to get rid of them:
- Make sure you keep your surfaces clean at all times so there’s nothing for flies to feed on.
- Keep food stored in sealed containers. This can also help reduce food waste - read our other tips on tackling food waste.
- Wipe down surfaces in your kitchen every time you cook or prepare food. Follow kitchen cleaning checklist to ensure good hygiene.
- Keep bins sealed, particularly if they contain food waste. Empty them regularly.
2. How to get rid of house flies with vinegar
Cleaning your home can help prevent flies but what if they've already got into your home? Learning how to get rid of house flies with vinegar is one of the easiest and most effective ways of ridding your house of those little winged irritants. Here's how to make a homemade trap:
- Pour some white vinegar into a bottle or jar.
- Cover it with a cloth – making sure there’s a hole for a fly to fit through.
- Leave the trap in an area where you see flies - empty it once you've caught all the flies.
3. How to get rid of flies with Citronella
Citronella is among a number of essential oils that are great if you need to know how to keep flies away from your house.
- Apply Citronella to the entry points of your home - doors and windows.
- Flies hate smoke so a well-placed Citronella candle will act as a powerful repellent to them and a sweet-smelling treat for you.
- Only burn these candles in outdoor spaces as the smoke can be irritating and may cause headaches or even breathing difficulties.
4. How to keep flies away from your house with homemade flypaper
If you don’t fancy hanging commercial flypaper around your home then the best way to keep flies away is to make your own. Here's how you do it:
- Heat equal parts of sugar, water, and honey in a pan.
- Once the mixture has completely melted, soak strips of brown paper and remove them with tongs.
- Leave it to dry on a rack.
- Once dry, hang the flypaper around your home to catch the flies.
5. How to keep flies away with herbs
Placing herb pots around your home can also help deter flies.
- Place lavender, bay, and mint plants at entry points to stop flies in their tracks.
- Basil is another strong fly deterrent so keep it in problem areas.
- Use essential oils when cleaning your home to make it smell fresh and keep flies at bay.
Why are there so many flies in my house?
Now you know how to get rid of flies you might still be wondering why are there so many flies in your house in the first place. Flies are most common in summer because, during warmer weather, flies breed in earnest. This can allow a small fly problem to multiply quickly and they'll seek out any easy sources of food - such as the crumbs in your home.
Thankfully, with our tips on how to keep flies away from your home using vinegar, homemade flypaper, Citronella and more you won't have to let pesky flies takeover your home.