Though tiling can tend to lose its lustre over time, cleaning porcelain tiles is a relatively simple process. That said, there are some important factors to bear in mind before deciding on a cleaning strategy, such as whether the tiles are polished, textured or bare.
Doing the job regularly (once or twice weekly) is the best way to clean porcelain tiles, preventing a build-up of dirt and any unsightly stains from spreading. This can be accomplished with a simple sweep and vacuum to remove debris, followed by mopping with warm water. However, when dirt gets out of hand, more extreme action can be required. Here are our top tips for how to clean porcelain tiles:
How to Clean Polished Porcelain Tiles
Cleaning porcelain tiles that are polished can seem like a daunting task; fortunately, help is at hand. First you’ll need to choose your cleaning product. You have three main options – whichever you choose, make sure to follow the directions on the label and test it in a small area first.
- Multi-purpose household cleaners or floor cleaning products or disinfectants – just follow the directions on the label, as most products will need to be diluted before use. We recommend Jif Cream to spot clean stains, as it is great for removing dirt without being harsh on surfaces.
- Bespoke porcelain tile cleaners – though likely to be a slightly more expensive option, these solutions can be highly effective.
- A white vinegar and water solution can also be used to target stains.
Whichever product you decide to use for cleaning porcelain tiles, it’s imperative to make sure that the room in which you do it is well-ventilated, and that any excess products are rinsed and removed as part of the cleaning process.
Then, you just need to follow these steps to restore your polished porcelain tiles:
- Sweep the tiled area and vacuum up any loose debris.
- Go over the area with a dry mop.
- Mop the floor with a sparing quantity of warm water – do not allow water to pool.
- Loosen stubborn stains with a soft nylon brush.
- Mop again using your chosen cleaning agent (see list above).
- Dry with a microfibre cloth and buff for a brilliant finish.
- Remember: before using any new cleaning product or method, make sure to test it on a small, inconspicuous area of tiling first.