- For gold, use a mix of vinegar and baking soda.
- For silver, use a mix of washing-up liquid and warm water.
- Gently brush diamonds clean with a soft toothbrush.
- Don’t forget to dry your ring with a soft cloth.
Want your diamonds to shine at the party? Bought a classy ring but not sure how to care for it? Cleaning your diamond, silver or gold rings is a delicate process; so here we’ll list some natural methods for how to clean rings made of different materials.
How to clean silver rings: easy steps to bring the shine to your silver
Wondering how to get rid of tarnish, or simply add extra shine to your silver ring? Follow the guide below to get your silver rings clean in no time!
- If you’re not dealing with tarnish, polishing with a silver cloth will do the trick.
- Is your jewellery tarnished? Try the following cleaning method:
- Mix ½ cup of white vinegar and 2 tbsp of baking soda.
- Place your mix in a bowl.
- Soak your ring in the solution for 2-3 hours.
- Rinse it under clean, fresh water to remove all traces of the solution.
- Dry with a clean, soft towel.
- Alternatively, use a commercial cleaner. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions on the label.
- If cleaning at home doesn’t work, consider consulting a professional jeweller.
- If your ring is part of a larger silver collection of necklaces and earrings, our article on how to clean silver jewellery has more great advice!
How to clean rings: a matter of care
A little bit of care for your rings will help in the cleaning process – and can help them last longer. If you’re worried about your silver jewellery tarnishing in the future, here are some steps to avoid this happening:
- Wear your jewellery less often.
- Don’t expose it to chemicals (so always remove it before cleaning around the house).
- Keep it clear of hairspray and perfume.
- When storing your jewellery, make sure each item is kept in its own spot in a jewellery box or individual bag. These should be airtight containers!
How to clean gold rings: your step-by-step guide
Whether you want to understand how to clean a white gold ring or a yellow gold ring, here’s our top advice.
- Mix a few drops of washing-up liquid in a bowl of warm water.
- Never use boiling water.
- Place your gold ring into the bowl to soak for 10-15 minutes.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush to gently scrub the ring, taking care around any areas with crevices or holes.
- Make sure you rinse your ring thoroughly.
- Don’t forget to cover the plughole to prevent any accidental dropping of your ring down the sink!
- Blot your ring dry with a soft cloth.
- Now you know how to clean your gold ring, why not check out our article on how to clean gold jewellery for more general advice?
How to clean diamond rings at home: add a bit of sparkle to your jewellery
The last thing you want for your diamond ring is for it to lose its sparkle. Here are our tips for cleaning your diamond ring to keep it looking its best.
- Before cleaning your diamond ring, check it over first.
- Ensure that the setting isn’t broken or loose.
- Ensure that the diamond is not moving in the setting.
- Ensure the clasps are firmly in place.
- If you discover any issues, contact a professional.
- To clean your ring, mix a few drops of washing-up liquid in a bowl of warm water.
- Leave your ring to soak for 20-40 minutes.
- Use a soft toothbrush to gently brush the stones.
- Don’t forget to brush at the base of the diamond too, so you get any dirt that has collected there.
- Is your ring particularly grimy? You can soak it in vodka for a few hours to dissolve the dirt.
- Rinse your diamond ring under warm, running water.
- Use a soft linen cloth to dry the ring.
- To protect your diamonds from becoming dull in the future:
- Avoid using hand lotion while wearing your ring.
- Take your ring off when using sprays like perfume or hairspray.
With this guide, we’ve shown you our top tips for how to clean rings at home in simple steps! Now you can sparkle and shine wherever you go.