Has your canine companion left you a little present you’d rather return? Follow this guide on how to get dog pee out of the carpet and restore your home in no time at all. Before you know it, you’ll be back cuddling your pooch without a puddle in sight.
How to get dog urine out of the carpet: fresh stains
Come home to puppy dog eyes and a fresh puddle on the floor? No fear. These accidents are all part of house training your dog and we have a simple method to help you clean things up. For other tips on looking after your home with a new pup, read our article on bringing a puppy home for the first time.
Here’s how to get dog pee out of the carpet:
- Use an old towel or cloth to soak up any excess liquid.
- Make a cleaning solution with ½ vinegar and ½ water.
- Pour the cleaning solution directly onto the affected area of the carpet. Wear gloves to protect the skin and make sure the room is well ventilated while cleaning.
- With a scrubbing brush, work the solution into the carpet.
- Press a paper towel into the carpet to blot the stain.
- Allow the carpet to dry, and sprinkle baking soda over the area.
- Apply a solution of one half a cup of hydrogen peroxide mixed with a teaspoon of washing up liquid to the stain.
- Using the scrubbing brush, work this solution into the carpet.
- Allow the carpet to dry.
- Vacuum the area thoroughly.
How to get dried dog pee out of the carpet: old stains
If your puppy had an accident that you didn’t spot straightaway and the pee puddle ended up drying, you’ll have to find out where the accident took place to treat the stain and its accompanying smell.
Learn how to get dried dog pee out of the carpet with these top tips:
- Use a blacklight torch. It may sound a bit extreme but this gadget will come in handy if the pee-stained area is not visible to the eye.
- Try enzymatic cleaners. This is an important tip if you need to know how to get rid of dog pee smell as well as the pee stain. These cleaners neutralise the smell while also tackling the stain by breaking up the protein compounds.
- Apply white vinegar, rubbing alcohol, and essential oils. White vinegar and rubbing alcohol are great natural deodorisers while essentials oils replace bad odours with soothing scents. Mix a solution of equal parts rubbing alcohol and white vinegar with a couple of drops of essential oil and spray the affected area. Leave it for 15 minutes and the smell will be gone!
How to get dog pee smell out of carpet
Got persistent dog pee smell on carpet? How to get it out is quite simple. Try mixing one cup of hydrogen peroxide with two tablespoons of baking soda and a drop of an enzyme-based detergent such as OMO. This will create a fizzy mixture so it’s important you don’t place the solution in a spray bottle or sealed container.
- Apply the cleaning solution to the area.
- Let it sit on the carpet for 5 minutes or so.
- Blot the area with clean towels again.
- ‘Rinse’ with warm water by dipping a clean towel in water and blotting the area.
- Pat dry once you’re sure the stain – and smell – have been removed.
With urine stains and smells safely removed you can now go back to making peace with your puppy once again.