Microwaves are great for creating convenience food and warming drinks, so keeping yours clean is important to ensure your family is safe and food doesn’t become contaminated. These microwave cleaning tips will help you keep your microwave clean and hygienic and ready to make your next quick meal.
Why should you know how to clean microwave doors and interiors?
There are some important reasons to keep your microwave clean. They include:
- Germs need warmth to survive, making microwaves the perfect environment for them.
- Your microwave may look clean, but food splatter particles could simply be too small to see.
- Food particles left on the inside of your microwave could fall onto and contaminate food that you are cooking.
Top ten microwave cleaning tips
- Clean the outside first, using an all-purpose cleaner like Jif.
- Wipe the inside of the microwave clean to remove any large bits of dirt and debris.
- Use one of the recipes below to loosen any grime inside your microwave.
- Allow the microwave to cool before wiping clean.
- Ensure your microwave is turned off before using water to wipe clean as water and electrical equipment do not mix.
- Wipe the microwave clean using a damp cloth.
- Wash the microwave plate using dish wash soap as normal.
- Ensure you pay special attention to the rubber seal, as this is often overlooked.
- Always be sure that you have removed any trace of chemicals before you put any food in to cook.
- After you have cleaned your microwave be sure to always keep food you are cooking covered, to help prevent splatter and food contamination in the future.
Three easy ways to help budge microwave grime
There are three easy recipes for homemade cleaners that you can pop into your microwave to help loosen any stains and grime inside your microwave.
- Combine one cup of water with two tablespoons of white vinegar in a bowl. Pop the bowl into the microwave and switch on for five minutes on high.
- Slice a lemon in half placing it on the microwave plate cut side down, with a tablespoon of water. Switch on the microwave for one minute, or until the inside is steamy, and then use the squishy lemon as a natural cleaner.
- Add two cups of water to one cup of dish washing liquid and two teaspoons of baking soda. Pop it inside the microwave for one minute or until it starts to steam.
With each of these techniques it should loosen the dirt and grime inside your microwave enough to simply use a damp cloth to wipe it clean.
Now you have some quick and easy steps to follow for how to clean microwave oven doors and interiors you can prevent your food from becoming contaminated and enjoy quick, easy meals at the touch of a button.