Knowing how to make homemade glass cleaner is a great skill to have in your repertoire if you’re conscious of both saving money and possibly reducing the impact your household habits have on the environment. Here are some window cleaning hacks, mirror cleaning hacks and top tips to make your own glass cleaner.
Five top window cleaning hacks
When it comes to cleaning your windows, there are some important hacks that you should know.
- Clean your windows on cloudy days: If you avoid cleaning your windows when the sun is out, you have less chance of soapy suds drying in situ.
- It’s all about the details: For example, wipe the window edges with a soft t-shirt or cotton bud, to avoid water marks. You can also buff out scratches with a non-gel toothpaste.
- Chalkboard erasers are great for getting rid of streaks: Nothing is more annoying than being left with streaks after you’ve cleaned your windows, so investing in a chalkboard eraser will help you avoid this!
- Kitchen tongs make effective blind cleaners: Simply wrap a rag around a pair of tongs and secure it in place with a rubber band. Pressing the tongs onto the blinds and dragging them across will pick up excess dust.
- Make your own glass cleaner: Although there are specialist products on the market, one of the best ways to save money and get a great result is to use a homemade window cleaner.
Always test any new product or method on small, inconspicuous area first before use and wear protective gloves while cleaning.
Three top mirror cleaning hacks
You mirror is an important part of your daily routine, so knowing some top hacks to keeping it clean will help make your life easier.
- A clean mirror needs a clean frame, so use a cotton bud to ensure the frame is in the best condition.
- Mirror glass can be prone to scratches many of which you will be able to buff out using a microfiber towel.
- Diluted white vinegar work as great stain removers for any stubborn marks that just won’t come clean.
Number one recipe to make your own glass cleaner
Cleaning windows with vinegar may not be something that you ever considered but some of the best recipes for homemade glass cleaner use vinegar as a key component.
Alvin corn (also known as alcohol, vinegar and cornflour) is the number one way to make your own glass cleaner. It can be used as a homemade shower glass cleaner, on your windows and even your mirrors. It will make all the glass in your home look as if it was brand new. All you need is:
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup rubbing alcohol
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 4 cups water
Pop it into a spray bottle and away you go.
We’re becoming a society increasingly aware of our environmental impact and are also more interested in natural cleaning methods. Now that you know some top window cleaning hacks, mirror cleaning hacks and how to make your own glass cleaner from homemade shower glass cleaner to homemade window cleaner, you can safely use them to keep your house clean and save money as a bonus.