If you’re looking to find out how to make clothes soft, fabric conditioner is great, but not all materials react well to it. With that said, we’re going to show you how to make clothes soft without fabric softener. All it takes is a little information and a few key steps.
Has your lifestyle during the Covid-19 lockdown affected the type of stains you get on your clothes?
Knowing how to make clothes soft and smell nice without fabric softener is simple as long as you follow a few easy steps:
- Read washing labels and follow the guide
- Try making a natural water softener made from vinegar or baking soda
- Go for detergents with long-lasting fragrances to get smells out of clothes
- Let clothes hang naturally and air while drying
- Use a gentle spin cycle on delicate clothing
How to make clothes soft without fabric softener
When it comes to knowing how to make clothes soft and then how to keep clothes soft, it’s always good to have a few tricks up your sleeve. When wondering how to make your clothes softer, you may find yourself asking "do I need fabric softener?" The answer: fabric softener may well do the job, but it’s not always kind to certain materials.
Fortunately, there are a couple of really good alternatives to fabric softener to try on more delicate fabrics:
- Vinegar – spray a little on clothing before washing, or add into a rinse cycle
- Baking soda – add a little to your machine before washing to soften the water
If you want to know how to keep clothes soft for longer, a delicate approach and a little attention to detail is needed:
- Read the label and stick to the guides
- Use gentle cycles and lower temperatures
- Try meshed laundry bags to protect your clothing
Make clothes smell good with fragrances
Learning how to make clothes soft is one thing, but how do you get smells out of clothes without using a conditioner, clothes perfume or laundry fragrance? Choosing powerful detergents with long-lasting fragrances will do the trick.
Scents like Lavender and Spring Jasmine have strong freshening properties – essential if you're wondering how to get rid of smell in clothes as they wash. There are a few things to pay close attention to though:
- Read the label to make sure you get the right washing temperature
- Use the correct amount of detergent – too much and the detergent might not rinse out fully, which can cause a damp smell over time
- Add a little vinegar to remove mould and mildew
- Air dry clothes after washing for freshness and to help remove odour from clothes
Once you’ve learned how to make clothes soft without fabric softener it’s easy to get that lovely comfy feeling each time you do laundry.