Deciding to move out of the home you grew up in is a big step, and it is a good idea to have a moving checklist to help plan for a successful move and ensure you remember all the moving out essentials. Here are some great tips to get you started.
Three important preparations to consider when moving out
There are three important things you need to consider before moving away from your parents’ house.
Having a steady income to be able to pay for rent, bills and other outgoings is just the start of the financial journey moving out of home is about to take you on. Get these two things right, though, and the rest will follow:
- Have a savings account ready for a rainy day or emergency situation.
- Set a budget to ensure that you live within your means.
Moving house can be a logistical headache if you don’t prepare in advance, but with these tips, you’ll be more prepared for when you actually leave the nest:
- Create a moving house checklist to ensure that everything is ready ahead of the day.
- Save money by shopping for essentials during the sales.
- Set up appointments for internet and other services to be installed.
- Get to know the area and where the essentials are from the nearest supermarket to the local facilities available.
- Change your address on important documents such as your driver’s license and bank.
It is a big thing to make your first move away from your parents so you need to make sure that you are emotionally prepared and your home is set up to keep you.
- Have safety features added to your home for example CCTV or an alarm may help you feel more secure in your new home.
- Organise for people to visit, so that they can see your new home once you are settled and also so you don’t feel so alone in those early days. Housewarming, anyone?
The dos and don’ts of how to pack for a move
- DO make a moving checklist by room. For example cleaning and washing products like Cif Power & Shine Multi-Purpose, Persil and Comfort for the kitchen/utility room and bed linen for the bedroom.
- DON’T forget to tick off as you pack.
- DO pack by room and label the boxes. This will ensure that the items go to the right place once your reach your new home.
- DON’T think that you’re alone. Be sure to ask friends and family for moving house tips and help, whether you want to know what to take or how to use a washing machine.
- DO enjoy yourself. Moving out for the first time may feel a little daunting but it is also an amazing opportunity to really explore the world yourself and become your own person, and take full control and responsibility for your life.
So, whilst you are getting excited about this first big move you are about to make, be sure you have all these key moving house tips for how to pack for a move close to hand to help you make the whole process as smooth as possible when you get ready to make your own start in your new home. And don’t forget to celebrate!