We all have those times we need to clean our floors and carpet quickly – often because we’re having guests like parents coming to visit, or to prepare for an inspection from the landlady. Here you will find top tips and floor cleaning hacks for making homemade cleaners and what you can use when you get caught out and don't have time to run to the shops.
Four floor cleaning hacks to clean your floors in a hurry
There are four top tips for cleaning your floors if you need to get it done quickly, from a quick homemade carpet cleaner to how to vacuum your floor quickly:
- You can make homemade carpet cleaner from a quarter teaspoon of washing up liquid and one cup of lukewarm water. Spray the solution on the carpet and wipe off with a damp cloth. Vacuum the carpet once you’ve used any solution on carpet.
- Rather than clearing a room, move items as you get to them when vacuuming your floor.
- Use steam cleaning for hard floors, as this will dry more quickly than if you mop them.
- Work from back to front when cleaning and vacuuming your floors as this will save time in not overlapping areas when doing either chore.
How to make a homemade floor cleaner
Though Cif is great for quick and easy stain removing on hard floors (just a dash of Cif with lukewarm water and a mop will sort out most stains on your floor), there are three top recipes for homemade cleaners you should know if you find yourself having run out of floor cleaner.
Homemade all purpose cleaner
- Two cups warm water - ½ cup of white vinegar - ¼ cup of surgical spirits - Three drops of washing up liquid
Mixing these four ingredients thorough will give you a great all purpose cleaner that will not only clean all your carpets and floors, but also any other areas around your home that need a quick clean.
Homemade carpet cleaning solution
- ¼ teaspoon of washing up liquid - One cup of lukewarm water
Although there is only two ingredients in this mix, they will do the job for a quick basic clean on your carpet.
Carpet stain remover for stubborn stains
- One cup of white vinegar - Two cups of water - Two teaspoons of salt
Although the homemade carpet cleaning solution is great for a basic quick clean, sometimes there are marks that just won’t come out. Always remember to blot stains, never rub them. Vacuum your carpet once it is dry to remove the stain.
The towel and iron carpet cleaning hack
One of the cleverest carpet-cleaning hacks is to use a moist towel and an iron. Here’s how you do it:
- Put a moist towel on the stained area of the carpet
- Using a hot iron, iron the towel, which will absorb the stain
- Voilà! No more stain! If by any chance some of the stain remains, you can try the homemade carpet cleaning solution above.
Two excellent hardwood floor cleaning hacks
Got scratches or discoloured parts on your beautiful hardwood floor? Try these floor cleaning hacks using things you might find in your cupboard!
For scratches on hardwood floors:
- Shell a walnut
- Rub the walnut against the scratch
- Buff with a soft cloth. The walnut’s natural oils will condition the floor to make the scratch less visible.
For lighter sections on dark wood floors:
- Steep three teabags in a cup of newly boiled water for about five minutes
- Dip a cloth in the strong tea and gently rub the affected area – be sure to try this on an inconspicuous part of the floor to check that you’re happy with the result
- Dab the area with a soft, dry cloth to soak up any excess moisture.
From clever floor and carpet-cleaning hacks to the reasons why they are great in an emergency, you are now prepared to get your house clean using things you might find around the house. While homemade cleaners make great little quick fixes, it’s a good idea to use specifically formulated cleaning products for your regular cleaning jobs. Time to put the cleaning products you’ve run out of on the shopping list!