- Fold your towels on the bed where you’ll leave them so that you don’t have to move them around once they’re in place.
- Folding towels in the style of Marie Kondo is not just great for guest towels, but also to keep your linen cupboard organised.
For a really welcoming guest room, a nicely folded towel is the cherry on top of the cake. Here we’ll show you how to give the five-star treatment to friends and family coming to stay with our guide to how to fold towels like a hotel. For more tips on preparing your guest room for your special arrivals, read our guide to how to make the bed properly.
How to fold a towel into a swan
Charm your guests with a whimsical twist on a folded guest towel! Learn how to fold towels into a swan with ease here:
- Start by laying out your towel flat on the bed, with the short edges to the sides, and the long edges as the top and bottom.
- Fold the top two corners down and in until they meet in the centre of the towel. Don’t forget, towels are rectangles, so the points won’t line up with the bottom of the towel.
- Roll the outside edges into the centre. This will create an upwards-facing arrow shape.
- Next, take the top of the arrow shape and lift it off the bed. Fold it into a Z shape, keeping the widest part of the arrow flat on the bed.
- Squeeze each of the curves to set the Z in place. This is your swan!
- If you have two guests coming to stay, repeat steps 1-5 to create a second swan. You could sit them on the bed facing one another so their necks create a heart shape!
How to fold towels Marie Kondo–style: An easy folding method for towels
Swans are fun, but you might be looking for a some more understated ideas for how to fold towels. Marie Kondo’s methods for organising the home involve a particular kind of folding that is both chic and efficient — perfect for guest towels in drawers, in the bathroom or at the end of the bed.
- Start by folding the towel in half, from side to side.
- Now repeat step 1, folding it in half again.
- Next, take the bottom of the folding towel, and fold it to the middle.
- Take the bottom again and fold to the top.
- Now you can pop the towel onto your guest bed.
How to fold a towel into a heart: Share the love with this folding method
Looking for towel folding ideas that are a little more… heartfelt? This one will make your guests smile — here’s how to fold bath towels into a heart:
- Find the middle of the long sides of your towel.
- Roll each half of the long edge of the towel. You should be able to create a cone shape as you roll.
- Do this to both sides until they meet in a point at one end of the towel.
- At the other end, turn in your loose roll ends to create the top of the heart.
- To save you having to move the heart, fold your towel on the guest bed where you would like it displayed.
With this simple guide and a few step-by-step methods, you now have everything you need to know about how to fold hand towels and bath towels.