- Have a clear out of old books to give you more space.
- Try a variety or organising ideas including colour-coding, alphabetising or organising by height order.
- Give your bookshelf a new lease of life with a lick of paint.
- Frame your bookshelf or add a built-in option instead.
Without planning book shelving ideas, our favourite books often end up dusty, untidy and forgotten in piles on the shelf. Read on to find out a variety of tips for decluttering books by tidying and organising your bookshelves; plus, ideas for making them into an attractive part of your home décor.
How concerned are you about disinfecting while cleaning?
Top organisational bookshelf ideas
If you’re looking for bookcase ideas to keep your books organised, we’ve got you covered with these top six ideas.
- Have a clear-out. The first step to decluttering books is to get rid of the ones you no longer need or want. There are a number of different ways you can clear out your old books including taking them to a local charity shop, donating them to a local library or asking a local school if they would like to take them.
- Organise paperbacks and hardbacks separately. Once you’ve got rid of old books you no longer need or want, start the organisational process by separating paperbacks and hardbacks. This will give you a cleaner, more streamlined look.
- Colour coding is your friend. Organising your books by colour is one of the best bookcase ideas: it looks fabulous and is easy to maintain. Why not stack them in a rainbow pattern, or ombre them along the shelves.
- Alphabetise for easy access to certain books. Whether you alphabetise your books by title or by author, it is a great way to be able to find a specific book you’re after with ease.
- Give yourself easy access to books you haven’t read. You could have a shelf dedicated to any books you have yet to read, or keep them stacked next to your bed. Whatever you choose to do, make sure they are easily accessible and there to remind you to read them!
- Put your books in height order. If you want a super organised look to your book shelving, set your books in height order from tallest on one side to smallest on the other.
Top bookshelf décor ideas
Bookshelves can be a great way to add a little something extra to your home. Turn them into decorative features in their own right with these bookshelf décor ideas:
- Add book ends that fit with your décor. Book ends don’t just keep your books organised: they can be a great way to bring a room together. Get them to fit your wallpaper, or even match your tablecloth.
- Paint your bookshelf to match the room. If you have an old bookshelf which no longer fits the décor in your home, why got give it a new lease of life with a lick of paint.
- Alternate your shelves with books and ornaments. A tall shelf full of just books may end up looking cluttered and untidy, so why not add some ornaments? Not only does it break up the look, but it gives you somewhere to display these special items.
- Make your bookshelf part of the décor by framing it. Whether you paint the wall around your shelving to make it a feature; or frame it with photos and artwork; there are many ways to ensure your shelving fits within the room.
- Instead of having a freestanding bookshelf, invest in a built-in option. This will not only allow you to have a great space for your books, but free up the space in your room by not having extra furniture.
With our book shelving ideas for planning and organising your books you can ensure you keep them tidy and the perfect addition to your home décor.