- Use fragrance-free, cleaning products for asthmatics that are designed to reduce the risk of an allergic reaction
- Avoid spray cleaners and use solid or liquid products instead, ideally using just a damp cloth wherever possible
- Open windows when cleaning to ventilate the room well
- Limit the number of house dust mites by using bedding barrier covers and by washing bedding with fragrance free washing detergents
- Remove allergens from clothing with unscented detergents
What triggers asthma?
Although it is not exactly clear what triggers asthma, there are some common asthma triggers – and the way you clean your house can be one of those. The most common allergens in your home include:
- Dust mites
- Mould spores
- Animal fur
- Chemicals in carpets
What are the best ways to try controlling asthma?
Knowing what triggers asthma in your case is the starting point to controlling asthma. When you’re in different situations, use your peak flow meter to identify potential asthma triggers. Note worsening symptoms to build up a picture of your triggers.While it’s difficult to control outdoor asthma triggers like pollution and weather, you can limit the asthma triggers inside. Keeping your home clean is your best approach to controlling asthma, but some cleaners can also trigger asthma.
What are the best cleaning products for asthmatics?
Even the smell of air fresheners and cleaning products can be asthma triggers for some. For these reasons, it’s best to limit or entirely remove the use of spray cleaners, and opt for unscented products that are designed to reduce the risk of an allergic reaction.
Dust mites are one of the most common asthma triggers, so keeping your bedding as free of these as possible will help in your attempts at controlling asthma. Unscented washing detergents, like Neutral 0% White Liquid Detergent, are a popular option when looking for cleaning products for asthmatics.
It’s not just regular cleaning that can help in controlling asthma, but also the kind of cleaning product you use. Unscented or fragrance-free cleaning products for asthmatics can help limit what triggers asthma in your home.