- Organise your space and get rid of clutter.
- Wipe away dust with a damp cloth.
- If you spill coffee or red wine on fabric, blot it up immediately.
Here is our list of top tasks to focus on so your home is a warm space that invites you to relax after a busy day.
How concerned are you about disinfecting while cleaning?
- Try and clean as you go when cooking to avoid an overwhelming mess at the end.
- Clean up spills straight away.
- Organise cabinets and drawers so there are fewer objects on counters making them easier to clear and wipe down.
- Thoroughly cleaning the fridge is recommended every 3 to 6 months. To do this, remove the contents and wipe out with soapy water, working from top to bottom. For tips on how to defrost your fridge, see this.
- Reduce clutter: Getting rid of packaging, gadgets, old clothes and anything that is no longer needed will make rooms look tidier and make it easier to keep them that way.
- For thick dust: wipe with a damp microfibre cloth that traps grime and allows you to get rid of it, rather than spreading it around.
- Storage: Storage can be limited in a flat. Hooks are a great way for efficiently dealing with coats, bathrobes and shopping bags.
- Rubbish: Make sure there are always bin liners and recycling bags available so there is no need for rubbish to accumulate. Putting it outside promptly will prevent odours.
- Ironing: An effective hack is putting wrinkled clothes in the tumble dryer on a high heat with a handful of ice cubes for 15 minutes, so the melting ice can steam away creases. For more advice on how to reduce ironing, see this.
- Stains: These vary a lot, but in general, a good approach with spills is to blot up any liquid with a clean cloth or paper towel immediately. See this for a guide to removing stains from carpet.
- Floors: Make cleaning floors easier by buying a powerful, cordless vacuum cleaner that is simple to use and empty.
- Homemade detergent: Make a solution of equal parts water and vinegar in a spray bottle. Apply this to sinks, grouting, spotty shower doors and any surfaces that need freshening, and wipe with a cloth or paper towel.
- Mats: Shake out bath mats in the shower, so you can rinse away any fluff.
- Floors: To give tiled floors a lift with minimal effort, spray the vinegar solution on paper towels and wipe the corners of the room, and anywhere where dust or hair gathers.
- Shower curtains: Spritz the ends of shower curtains with an all-purpose cleaner weekly to reduce build-up of limescale or mildew.