- Create a home safety checklist using our tips to keep your house safe from everyday hazards and intruders.
- Remember pets and children when creating a safe environment by keeping substances out of their reach.
- Make sure you have easy access to your phone at all times in case of an emergency.
Despite your best efforts to make your home the safest place in the world, burglaries and other crimes in your neighbourhood could leave you unsettled. Take control by following our tips for improving health and safety at home – you can even use them to make your own home safety checklist!
Tips for keeping safe at home and protecting against intruders
A big part of staying safe at home is protecting yourself, and your property, against intruders. Try these tips:
- Install a home security system. It may seem obvious but the best way to protect your home when you are away is to have an alarm installed.
- Hang opaque net curtains to prevent people from seeing into your home. Especially in rooms where you have expensive items like TVs and consoles.
- Keep doors closed. Even if you are simply popping out to the garage or emptying the bins.
- Keep your garden secure with a sturdy fence or wall. This will serve two purposes; to keep pets and children in and intruders out.
- Be careful online. Avoid announcing when you are not at home and never post home addresses or phone numbers on websites or social media. Holiday announcements might seem harmless on social media but you never know who’s reading.
Tips for understanding health and safety at home
Safety at home does not stop with protecting yourself from intruders. Here are some steps for you to protect yourself from hazards at home:
- There are a greater number of kitchen hazards than any other room in your home so focus most of your efforts here.
- Always keep curtains, paper and other flammable objects away from flame sources such as the oven.
- Always take care when using cleaning products such as bleach, and never mix chemicals such as ammonia and bleach.
- Ensure you have non-slip mats in your bathroom.
- Keep phones and lights within reach of your bed as you’re most vulnerable while asleep.
- Keep poisonous substances like insecticides, bleach, and antifreeze out of the reach of pets and children. Consider storing in a garage, shed, or locked cupboard.