Essential oils are more than just pleasant-smelling aromas to liven up a room. They’re powerful active compounds made from plants, and research has shown they contain numerous health and wellness benefits, from promoting relaxation to reducing stress. Even better, they’re easy to bring into your everyday life so you can begin enjoying all their amazing benefits.
Here are some methods to get you started.
Use essential oils from the bottle
The easiest and most direct way to bring essential oils into your life is to simply open a bottle and inhale the goodness.
Studies show that inhaling essential oils can positively affect your mood. When you sniff, some of the oil’s molecules enter and dissolve in your nasal cavity, sending signals to the parts of your brain in charge of your mood and emotions.
Of course, remember that we all react to scents differently. Start slow, using your hand to waft the scent toward you. If you feel excited for more of the scent, then continue; however, if you don’t react well to a particular scent, take a break and try with a different oil later.
Which diffuser should I use for essential oils?
By diffusing an essential oil, you’re evaporating it into the air. The airborne molecules not only make your space smell incredible, they can potentially impact your mood. A diffuser is the best method for enjoying the benefits of airborne essential oils, and there are many different options available:
- Electric diffusers either heat or use cool air to evaporate the oil.
- A misting or ultrasonic diffuser evaporates the combined oil and water via ultrasonic vibrations, similar to a humidifier.
- A nebuliser, which turns oils straight into gas like an inhaler, is one of the most potent ways to introduce fragrance to the air, though keep in mind it’s also one of the most expensive.
How to use essential oils in skincare products
One of our favourite ways to enjoy the benefits of essential oils is to apply them directly to the skin. It’s safe and simple to put a few drops of your favorite scent right into creams, lotions, body scrubs, cleansers, and more.
Make sure you check with your doctor before introducing a new skincare routine, or if you experience any adverse side effects.
What benefits do essential oils have?
We’re excited to share some of our current favorite essential oils:
- Mint - If you like the smell of mint, you’re in luck as there are a number of mint essential oils out there with wonderful benefits. Peppermint naturally deters bugs and other insects, and makes it fun and easy to experiment with your own insect repellent. Spearmint is antispasmodic, which means it may help relax muscles and nerves. It’s also cephalic, which can promote concentration and even alleviate anxiety.
- Sweet orange - Sweet orange is a favorite and smells so good it’s like sunshine in a bottle, which gives it calming and mood-lifting properties. Some research shows that sweet orange oil, whether inhaled or applied to the skin, helps slow the pulse and respiration, while simultaneously making people feel more cheerful. This makes it a good overall mood balancer.
- Lavender - Lavender is one of nature’s great wonders, beloved for its healing properties for centuries. The calming scent of lavender can help us relax or let go of anxiety or nervous energy. It’s also been said to have anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. Not to mention, it’s good for sleeping, nipping headache symptoms in the bud, and even repelling bugs. Wow!
- Cucumber - Though perhaps not as well known, cucumber essential oil is loved for its cooling and relieving effects. When applied topically, cucumber oil can help with inflammation and relieve excess heat. And since it’s chock full of vitamins and antioxidants, a quick whiff can help add some calm on a busy or stressful day.
We hope these tips and ideas can help jump-start your essential oil journey.