- Remove the old door handle first.
- Unscrew and remove the interior knob.
- Remove the external knob.
- Remove the latch face plate.
- Slide the latch out.
- To fit a new door handle, follow the same steps in reverse.
- Don’t be afraid to cut the latch hole to size.
From needing to replace a broken handle to installing new ones that work better with your home décor, there are a number of situations where you might need to know how to replace a door handle. This article will offer a simple, step-by-step process for how to change a door handle.
Has your cleaning regime changed during the Covid-19 lockdown?
How to remove a door handle: an easy guide
Here are six easy steps to remove a door handle:
- Loosen and remove the faceplate screws. As you loosen them, the faceplate will become looser.
- Holding the door in one hand, pull the interior knob away from the door until it is fully detached. You may need to wiggle it back and forth.
- If the exterior knob and faceplate are separate entities, pry off and remove the faceplate carefully using a thin tool such as a knife.
- At this point you should be able to simply pull the exterior doorknob out of the door.
- Unscrew the latch faceplate.
- Once the screws are removed, the latch interior can be pulled out.
How to fit a door handle: your step-by-step guide
Here's a simple step-by-step guide for how to put a door handle on once you’ve removed the old one:
- Insert the new latch. Ensure the flat side of the bolt faces into the room so that you are able to lock the door from the inside. Never force the latch into the hole; you may need to adjust the old hole and make it larger to fit the new latch.
- Line up the latch faceplate to screw it into place.
- There are usually three bars connected to the exterior knob. Line them up with the holes on the inside part of your latch and push the knob through the holes.
- Line up the exterior knob faceplate and tighten the knob into place with screws.
- Some knobs may have the faceplate attached and will simply need screwing into place. If this is the case, connect the interior doorknob to the door by lining them up with the bars. Press it into place until the knob runs flush with the door.
- Screw the knob into the door until it is held in place, ready to use.
Now, you've got some simple steps to remove a door handle and you know how to fit a door handle to replace the old one. With this article, you can replace broken door handles or simply spruce up your home décor.