- Always remove your jewellery before using chemicals such as bleach.
- Use a toothbrush to scrub platinum clean.
- Use a specialised cleaner or mild soap and warm water solution.
- Dry your platinum with a clean, lint-free cloth.
- Ensure platinum jewellery is stored in its own compartment or box.
Platinum is a very valuable metal, especially due to its properties; did you know it won't fade or tarnish? It's also hypoallergenic! No wonder you want to keep your platinum jewellery clean and in good condition. Read on to find out how to clean platinum items, especially rings, to keep them looking as good as they possibly can.
A platinum cleaning step-by-step guide
Got a platinum ring that’s lost its gleam? Don’t worry, getting it back to its former glory is a doddle! Learn how to clean a platinum ring and other platinum jewellery using the method below..
What do you need for platinum cleaning?
- A specialised platinum jewellery cleaner OR mild soap and warm water
- Soft toothbrush
- Lint-free cloth
Steps for how to clean platinum
- Place a toothbrush into the soap and water mix or jewellery cleaner.
- Using the toothbrush, gently scrub the platinum.
- Rinse the jewellery thoroughly under warm water. Never rinse above a sink drain as you don’t want to drop your jewellery down there!
- Use a clean, dry lint-free cloth to dry the platinum jewellery.
- Avoid soaking, scrubbing or brushing any stones in your jewellery as they are likely to need their own specific care.
Other general care tips for looking after platinum jewellery
As well as cleaning your platinum jewellery, these tips will help you keep it in the best condition:
- Always remove platinum rings or bracelets before cleaning with chemicals such as bleach, as these could cause damage to the material.
- Avoid heavy labour or gardening while wearing platinum jewellery.
- Don’t forget to give your platinum jewellery its own compartment in your jewellery box.
- If you require alterations or repairs, ensure that the jeweller uses platinum and not white gold.
Now you’re all clued up on how to clean platinum and diamond rings and other jewellery, why not check out our article for how to clean diamonds? Platinum isn’t the only precious metal you may have in your jewellery collection. We have more articles to help get your bling back to its original shine, including how to clean gold.