How long does it take to get rid of mice?
Mice can live up to three years in a protected environment with a good food source, so your home is prime territory. They also breed quickly so before you know it, you can have a dozen or more. This is why it can take several days for you to fully clear your home of mice, but with the help of a professional exterminator you can speed up the process.
1: Block off all entry points
When it comes to getting rid of house mice, you first want to ensure that more won’t come in once you get rid of them:
- Close off every hole and entry point you can find.
- Consider hiring a handyman to check over your home for any you have missed.
- Be sure there are not tree branches within around six inches of your house as mice can use them to jump in.
- Keep your outside areas clear of rubbish or piles that mice could hide or live in.
2: Clean and sanitize your home
Taking steps to prevent mice wanting to enter your home is an important preventative measure you can take, just as blocking off their entry points helps:
- Ensure all food is in air-tight, mouse-proof containers from things in your kitchen to bird seed in the garage.
- Clean all surfaces and floors, taking special care in areas you know mice have been and lived.
- Use Cif Power & Shine Ant-Bacterial Spray to ensure your home is germ and bacteria-free, as mice can carry germs which can make you and your family ill.
3: Use bait or traps to get rid of mice
There are some things you should always remember when getting rid of mice:
- Always be over-prepared and buy more than you think you will need. Mice breed quickly and so you want to be ready for the worst-case scenario.
- Always keep traps away from children.
- Place the bait or trap near to where the mice live to increase the success rate of extermination.
- Always check twice a day to see if you have caught anything, you certainly don’t want dead mice to start decomposing in your home.
Now you know the three stages to getting rid of mice and rats, you are prepared in the event of the little rodents finding their way into you home. If all else fails, never be afraid to call a professional exterminator. After all, getting rid of mice and unwanted pests is their job.