We’re always looking for ways to ensure our homes are both clean and smelling fresh; especially if we have guests visiting. Using a natural room freshener is a great way to keep your home smelling great, so here are a few tips to make your own air freshener.
Why should you make your own air freshener?
There are three great reasons to use a homemade air freshener spray:
- Sometimes opening your windows to let out unwanted smells isn’t an option; using a homemade air freshener is a great alternative.
- Knowing how to make your own air freshener means you can control the ingredients and ensure they are natural and safe for you and your family.
- Making a homemade air freshener can save you money, by using items commonly found around your home.
What do you need to make your own air freshener?
When creating a homemade air freshener, you need a few key components, some of which you may find around your home. These include:
- Mason jars
- Breathable mesh or fabric
- Spray bottle
- Wooden bowl
How to make your own air freshener
When you come to make air freshener sprays, there are some easy homemade air freshener recipes, and many will use lemon as citrus smells smell fresh, are associated with cleanliness and will last the longest. Here are three top recipes you can try at home:
- Mason jar air freshener diffuser Mix the lemon zest from one to two lemons with fifteen drops of lemon essential oil and a ¼ cup of baking soda. Cover the jar with a breathable cloth, secured with a ribbon. This zesty homemade air freshener will last for around one month.
- Homemade air freshener spray Fill a medium-sized spray bottle about halfway with distilled water, then add a ¼ cup of vodka and ten drops of essential oils of your choice. Shake to mix thoroughly. These can then be used all over the house and also saved for later.
- Potpourri Combine dried leaves, flowers, and petals with between ten and twenty drops of essential oils. Pop the mix into a jar and close the lid. Leave it for around seven days, allowing the scent of the essential oils to soak in. Finally, simply place your potpourri into a bowl to smell great anywhere in your home.
Now you have some homemade air freshener ideas to get you started, your house can smell great without breaking the bank. You can also use these ideas to make your own car air freshener and keep your vehicle fresh too.