- Use products like Cif Multi-Purpose Spray to clean up once you’ve finished decorating.
- Draw the eye upwards using paint or wallpaper on the ceiling and high hung shelves to make a small room look bigger.
- Keep the room light and airy using lighter shades on your walls, floors and furniture.
Bedrooms come in all shapes and sizes and it can be easy to feel a little lost if yours is of the smaller variety. Once you know how to make a room look bigger you can make the most of the space that you have; and help it to look and feel bigger and brighter.
Has your cleaning regime changed during the Covid-19 lockdown?
7 top tips to make a small room look bigger
These 7 top tips will help you to make the most of your space and help your small room look and feel bigger.
- Find ways to draw the eye upwards which will make the room feel taller; from painting or wallpapering the ceiling to hanging shelves higher on the wall than you usually would.
- In the same way vertical stripes on clothing elongate the body, a striped rug will help your room appear to be longer than it is. Running the stripes along the length of the room that is the longest will have the greatest effect.
- Use different shades of the same colour for the walls, rug and furniture to create a visual coherence. This will help to create unity and make the space feel more open.
- Use statement furniture to fill the room. For example, one large sofa instead of multiple smaller pieces will decrease the look of clutter and make the room feel bigger.
- Don’t cover your windows. This gives the room more depth, allowing it to feel bigger.
- Use lamps instead of overhead lighting, which will draw the eye around the room instead of the light pooling all in one place.
- Add a mirror or two to give the illusion of a larger space.
What colours make a room look bigger and brighter?
Choosing the right colours when you are decorating a small room will help it look brighter, airy and as a result, bigger. Colours that make a room look bigger are ones that are lighter. Although darker colours make a room feel cosy, as they absorb light instead of reflecting it – the result is the space feels smaller, and this means that light colours on the walls and floors will help to brighten a room and make it feel airier.
When it comes to knowing how to make a small bedroom look bigger these easy tips and tricks should help you to make the most of the space you have, and ensure that your room looks and feels as big as possible for you to enjoy it. Plus, find out how to make the most of the storage space in a small room here!