- Work in a dry, clean area.
- Keep your area well-lit.
- Use oil or baby powder to help the knot slide apart.
- Use two needles or a screwdriver in the middle of the knot.
- Pull apart the knot to separate it.
- Store your necklaces properly to prevent knots.
Apart from patience and long fingernails, did you know there are actually a number of ways and tools to make detangling a necklace chain easier? We’ve listed a number of tricks to try out and a method with a few easy steps to show you how to untangle a necklace.
How to untangle a necklace chain: tips, tricks, and step-by-step guides
Necklaces have a tendency to get knotted up no matter how neatly you store them. Fortunately, we’ve got some tricks to get you out of this tangled mess. Here’s how to unknot a necklace:
- Always work in a clean, dry area.
- Make sure your work area is well-lit.
- Try using lubricating oil.
- Spread out the necklace.
- Add lubricating oil to the knotted area.
- Slide the sharp tips of two needles into the centre of the knot.
- Use the two needles to pull apart the knot.
- Wash the necklace thoroughly to remove all traces of lubricating oil.
- Dry the necklace by enveloping it in a towel (not too fluffy, or the lint might get caught in the chain).
- Try using baby powder.
- Sprinkle baby powder over the knot.
- Gently rub the knot between your fingertips to loosen the knot.
- Slide the sharp tips of two needles into the knot centre.
- Pull the knot apart and separate the pieces to remove the knot.
- Wash the necklace and remove all traces of baby powder.
- Dry the necklace with a lint-free towel.
- If you don’t have needles, try using a screwdriver.
- Insert a screwdriver into the middle of the knot.
- Wiggle it back and forth to loosen the knot.
- Pull apart the knot with your fingers.
- Take care not to get frustrated and simply pull at the knot. This could make the tangle worse or even break the necklace.
- Ensure you always store your necklaces properly to prevent future knots.
- Do your necklace up at the clasp.
- Store each necklace in their own compartment or box, or on a necklace cushion.
- Alternatively, use a jewellery tree or a notice board with pins to hang your necklaces.
Hopefully the question of how to detangle a necklace is no longer a mystery to you! Having learned how to untangle a necklace chain, why not check out our other jewellery care articles such as how to clean platinum and how to clean silver, to become a master of jewellery upkeep and make your pieces sparkle?