If you’re looking for a way to give your home more space, then you may be looking for tips on how to do a loft conversion. Converting your attic space is a great way to utilise space you already have without adding an extension. This article will provide attic ideas and inspiration, as well as important considerations and pitfalls to avoid.
How to do a loft conversion – the dos and don’ts
There are a few considerations you will need to make when you are thinking about making changes to your loft space.
- DO check regulations to ensure your plans are within the local planning rules. Not all loft conversions require planning permission but other agreements, such as party walls, need to be considered.
- DON’T settle for the first quote. Make sure you shop around in order to get the best deal for the work that you need done.
- DO ensure your conversion is fully insulated and energy efficient and consider how it will be heated in the winter.
- DON’T be afraid to ask your contractor questions and provide your input. After all, it’s your home!
- DO consider safety aspects as well as cost. Make sure that the room can be accessed safely. This could incur a higher cost if the entry requires changes to be made on the floor below.
Loft conversion ideas for making the most of your space
With their slanted ceilings and cosy proportions, attics make cute and comfortable offices or even bedrooms. If you’re looking for attic ideas for your conversion, why not try one of the following:
1. Turn your loft space into an extra bedroom. Here are our top attic bedroom ideas:
- Add a shower room or en-suite to your attic bedroom to free up the main family bathroom for those who need to get ready for work and school or give guests their own space.
- Make the bed multi-functional using an ottoman bed to provide extra storage space or a sofa bed if the room is to be used for guests.
Now you understand how to do a loft conversion and you’ve been equipped with our best loft conversion ideas, you can get started! With our top tips, you can make the best use of the space in your home and enjoy the added possibilities your attic conversion provides.
- Check local regulations and safety aspects before starting your conversion.
- Always shop around to make sure you pick the best contractor and get value for money.
- Turn your attic into a bedroom for guests or an office to work from home.
- Maximise natural light with sloping Velux windows.