- Create a new home checklist.
- Organise your list by room to make sure nothing is missed.
- Start with the big items such as a bed and sofa.
- Don’t forget bathroom essentials such as toothbrushes and toilet roll.
- Pick up kitchen essentials to cook, serve and eat food with.
There are a few household items that are needed, yet often forgotten, the first time you move into an unfurnished home or the first time you live on your own. It is a good idea to have your house essentials and basics to keep your everyday life going. In this article we will share a home essentials list to help you make sure that you’re prepared for the big move.
What to buy for a new house
There are some top house essentials you will need to make sure you pick up before you move. Here are things to buy for a new house ready to set up home.
- Check if your new home needs appliances. Whilst some homes (for example rented properties) may come with appliances, if you’re buying your first home you may need to pick up a washing machine, fridge, freezer and oven. These are all essentials for everyday life!
- Buy all your bathroom essentials. Once you have moved to your new home, you want to be able to stay clean and get ready for school, uni or work. Don’t forget a toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo and body wash.
- Don’t forget the loo roll. The worst possible scenario is that first use of your new toilet, you realise you forgot to pick up some toilet roll. As well as your bathroom essentials, make sure toilet roll is on your shopping list too.
- Stock up a first aid kit. This is especially important if you’re moving away from home for the first time, you won’t be able to rely on you parents for a plaster or pain killers if you need them in your new home.
- Make sure you have kitchen essentials. This includes something to cook with (such as a saucepan) something to serve food onto (such as plates and bowls) and of course something to eat with (cutlery includes forks and knives).
When furnishing a new home, a checklist is key
Having a household items list at the ready will mean you don’t forget a thing when furnishing your new home. Here are our top tips to create the perfect list:
- Create your list by room. It’s easier to remember key items in order of the rooms they go in when furnishing a new home. A checklist can be structured with each room as a title, for example ‘Bedroom’, and then the items below it, like ‘Bed’ and ‘Lamp.’
- Start with the big items. The big items are the easiest to remember you need, for example a bed and somewhere to sit in your new living room.
- Don’t forget your storage solutions. From somewhere to hold your books, to keeping your shoes organised you will need to ensure that you have the storage you need for your new home.
Now you have our tips for picking up your new home essentials, you can be sure to have everything ready for when you move.