Did you listen to grandma's household tips when you were growing up? No matter how much society progresses, some old-fashioned housekeeping cleaning strategies were cleverer and more efficient. Here we’ll share with you some old school cleaning tips which may not be as widely used today, but still work like a charm!
Four all-natural house cleaning tips
Just because these household tips are old, it doesn’t mean that they’re irrelevant. Old-fashioned household tips like these are the best because of their natural ingredients:
- Clean your windows with a mixture made up from the following ingredients:
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon of corn starch
- ½ teaspoon a natural essential oil such as peppermint
Not only will this give you beautifully clean, clear windows but it will also discourage flies... a double win!
- Combine the following ingredients to create the perfect all-purpose cleaner for your appliances, bathrooms, kitchens and more:
- 1 ½ cups of water
- ½ cup of white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon a natural essential oil such as lavender
- In the summer months ants can be a real troublesome pest. Using sage or white pepper in powder form is a great natural repellent.
- Mix ¼ cup vinegar with 1 cup water in a glass bowl and pop it into your microwave for five minutes on the highest setting. This is a great, natural way to clean it. After the mixture cools, pop a cloth in and use it to wipe any excess grime away from the sides and door.
Housekeeping tips everyone should know
How to keep your house organised and running well from day to day is something that most of us could do with a few tips on. These housekeeping tips are easy to do, and will make a difference to your home:
- Composting: Many of us are already well versed in reducing, reusing and recycling our waste, but composting is one of the oldest forms of household waste reduction. All it needs is a bit of air and moisture and in time (with a little earthworm help!) you will have the perfect compost soil for planting.
- Dry your clothes outside: In a society where convenience is key, it is easy to just pop your laundry in a tumble dryer. However, drying clothes outdoors is a great way to air them, save energy and use the sun as a natural stain remover.
- Brighten your whites: Just ½ a cup of lemon juice inside your laundry cycle will help your white washing come out brighter than ever.
Discovering old-fashioned household tips like these that still work is a great way to keep traditions alive. Sometimes old cleaning tips are better than the new ones, and now you have a few to ensure you are running your home and cleaning in the most efficient way possible.
- Old fashioned household tips are easy changes to make and will help you save energy and money.
- White vinegar, water and baking soda make a good all-purpose cleaner for all around your home – perfect for when you’ve unexpectedly run out of household cleaner!
- Essential oils are a great way to make your cleaning products and home smell fab.