No matter how often you polish them, glasses never seem to get entirely smudge-free. That is, unless you have a few clever tactics for how to clean your glasses up your sleeve. In this article we go through some of the different options and provide a step-by-guide on how to properly clean glasses at home.
How to clean glasses lens with a specially-designed cleaning product
The best way to clean glasses for you will depend slightly on what you have to hand. Ideally, you might have a specialised glasses cleaning product. You can get these from most opticians or wherever you buy your glasses. Always follow the instructions for how to clean your glasses on the product’s packaging, and be particularly sure that the eyeglass cleaning product you have is appropriate for your specific type of glasses (for example, if yours have an anti-reflective coating, you’ll need a gentler product).
How to clean eyeglasses with a microfiber cloth
Another good option when it comes to how to clean spectacles is a microfiber cloth. You might have one of these lying around at home already – they’re handy little things that can be used for a whole range of cleaning tasks. For those wondering how to clean glasses lenses, microfiber cloths work well because they are designed to pick up grease, dirt and lint without leaving any marks of scratches. Simply wipe over the glasses with your cloth until they’re as good as new. Just be sure never to use an old or dirty microfiber cloth, as dust and dirt might be transferred onto your glasses or cause scratches.
How to clean glasses with something you definitely already have at home
Don’t have a specialist cleaning product or microfiber cloth to hand? Never fear, the next best way to clean spectacles is by using... washing up liquid. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Wash your hands before starting so as not to transfer any dirt or grease onto your glasses.
- Wet the spectacles under warm water. Make sure that it’s not too hot, as this can cause damage.
- Add a dab of washing up liquid onto your hands (make sure it is the oil-free type) and work up into a lather. Spread evenly around your glasses.
- Use cotton wool to clean the smaller pieces such as screws and the nose bridge.
- Rinse with warm water until all of the last soap suds are gone.
- Dry gently with a clean towel and let them air dry.
So now you know how clean to glasses lens and frames with whatever you have to hand! Always wash and dry with care, then you’ll be sure to have sparkling glasses ready to help you navigate the world.
- Rinse glasses under warm water
- Use a small amount of washing up liquid to remove grease and dirt
- Dry gently with a clean towel