When the sun comes out, the days get longer, and six layers are no longer necessary for all basic human functions, it’s a great time to spring clean your life and clear your clutter. Decluttering and having a good spring clean is both hygienic and a great mood lifter – just see how much better you feel when the house is shining and all that extraneous clutter is cleared away! Here is our spring cleaning checklist for a clean and clutter-free home.
Spring Cleaning Checklist
There are two stages to any good spring clean: first, decluttering, and second, a thorough spring cleaning. Our spring cleaning checklist takes you through both stages to help you achieve a streamlined and sparkling living space.
Stage 1: Declutter your life
- The simplest way of resolving accumulated clutter is the Four-Box Method. Gather four boxes (or, if you prefer, three boxes and one bin bag). Designate the boxes ‘Put away’, ‘Give away/ Sell’, and ‘Put in storage’, and use the other bag or box for items that will be disposed of. Remember that you can recycle cardboard, paper, plastic, and glass items, and that charity shops will be happy to receive donations of clean, unbroken goods, furniture, and clothing!
- Working room by room, systematically clear your clutter, consigning each item to the appropriate box.
- As you finish each room, set aside some time to sort all the ‘Put away’ and ‘Storage’ items into their appropriate places. When spring cleaning your life, it’s helpful to put winter clothing and other items such as blankets away into storage to increase space and enable easier access to your spring and summer garments.
- If your home often feels cluttered, now would be a good time to look at new storage solutions – stackable plastic boxes for magazines, papers or miscellaneous items, hanging storage for clothes, boxes or shelving for books, kitchen items, or craft materials.
- Stack the ‘Give away/ Sell’ items in an out-of-the-way place, such as your loft or garage. Ensure these are taken to charity shops or make arrangements for their sale as soon as possible.
Stage 2: Spring clean your life
Once the clutter clearing is out of the way, now is the time to thoroughly spring clean your life! Here is our spring cleaning checklist for five key areas of your home.
- Vacuum carpets thoroughly.
- Sweep and mop any hard, wooden, tiled or surfaced floors using appropriate detergents. Always check the manufacturer’s instructions, and wear gloves to protect your hands – and old clothes if you’re worried about getting dirty. When using a detergent or natural cleaner, always test a small and inconspicuous area first.
- Clean all windows using a purpose-made window cleaner. Be sure to check the manufacturer’s guidelines and instructions first.
- You may also like to clean the curtains – in your washing machine if they are machine-washable (check the label), or at a dry cleaner’s.