Oven cleaning is often a task we dread and avoid. It can be a long hard job, and requires time and elbow grease, something we don’t always have; meaning that we leave it undone for too long. This doesn’t have to be the case though, and these tips and oven cleaning hacks will help you get a clean oven quickly and easily.
3 tips for cleaning oven doors and interiors
There are 3 main tips you need to bear in mind when taking the steps towards a clean oven.
- Always remove the oven racks first, and clean them separately.
- Keep the room well ventilated, especially if you’re using products like ammonia.
- Use grime-busting specialist products like Cif Oven Cleaner as an easy way to clean oven doors and interiors as well as to scrub out stubborn stains.
2 homemade solutions to clean the oven
These 2 recipes are great homemade cleaners to achieve a sparkling clean oven.
- Heat your oven to gas mark 2 then ensure both the gas and pilot light are turned off before proceeding. Pop a large pot of boiling water on the bottom rack with a dish containing a cup of ammonia on the top rack. Leave it to rest overnight. In the morning, leave the door open for around 15 minutes. Add a couple teaspoons of dish soap to your leftover ammonia, plus one litre of water and use this mixture with a scrubbing pad to clean the remaining grease.
- Empty your oven and take out the oven racks. Mix ½ cup of baking soda with three tablespoons of water (or enough to create a paste). Spread the mixture over the interior of the oven taking care to avoid the heating elements. Allow it to sit for approximately 12 hours or leave it overnight; then use a damp cloth to wipe away the grease and leftover mixture.