- Make sure you have all the kit you’ll need.
- Choose foods that suit indoor grilling.
- Be sure to stay safe and always use oven gloves to protect from burns.
However thoroughly you organise a summer barbecue, you can't always rely on the weather sticking to the plan. Whether you need a quick plan B or you simply want to have a summery Saturday whatever the weather, grilling indoors (with the right preparation and precautions) is a great way to make the most of a rainy weekend. Here’s everything you need to know when it comes to hosting your own barbecue indoors!
Why grill indoors?
Anyone who’s ever experienced a British summer will know the answer to this one. Invariably the day you choose to get friends together for a summery barbecue will be the day it pours down. If you have plans in place to grill indoors instead, you won’t have to worry about it.
Grilling indoors: what you’ll need
The key thing when it comes to indoor grilling is a good quality grill pan. If it’s not pre-seasoned, you’ll also need to do this in advance by rubbing vegetable oil over the surface and placing in a hot oven for 30 minutes.
When it comes to tools and implements you could easily go wild as there are so many different ones available on the market, but just stick to a few key pieces of kit:
- Tongs – a must have for any self-respecting griller, indoors or out
- Metal spatula – if you want professional grill marks on your food you’ll need flip it halfway through cooking so a good quality, not-melt-able spatula is crucial
- Oven gloves – not the most exciting of purchases, but very important when it comes to protecting yourself from nasty burns.
If you want to replicate that smoky effect which is harder to recreate indoors, stock up on pre-smoked meat and marinades.
What foods are best for indoor grilling?
There are some foods that do better than others when it comes to indoor grilling. Ones to avoid are those with lots of fat such as duck breast or fatty steaks as this can create a lot of smoke or cause splatters. Good foods for an indoor grill party include:
- Fish fillets
- Boneless chicken