- Essential kitchen appliance cleaning tools you need are: microfibre cloths and a spray container filled with a mixture of water and lemon juice, or vinegar.
- Be sure to unplug your appliances and do not get any heating elements wet.
Are you wondering how you can clean your kitchen appliances? This article will cover some general principles for cleaning household appliances with step-by-step tips on how to clean a microwave. Cleaning your appliances couldn’t be easier with this guide!
For most household appliances you’ll need the following:
- A couple of microfibre cloths.
- A multi-purpose cleaner like Cif Ultrafast Antibacterial Spray or a spray container filled with water mixed with lemon juice or white vinegar. Just be sure to check your cleaning solution on a small area of you appliance first.
Make sure you unplug all appliances before cleaning and remember to always read the information provided by the manufacturer for specific cleaning advice for your appliance.
The process of cleaning any appliance in the kitchen is relatively simple:
- Spray the cloth and wipe down the surface of the appliance.
- If you’re cleaning an appliance with a removable part for catching crumbs or other waste food, remove it and clean it thoroughly.
- For items like toasters (which have a tendency to accumulate debris), shake them out over the bin. Do not get the heating elements of the toaster wet.
- Dislodge anything in hard to reach places using a dry toothbrush.
Remember to always read the information provided by the manufacturer for guidance.
This video guide will give you a clearer picture of how best to clean your toaster:
How concerned are you about disinfecting while cleaning?
How to clean a microwave
Does the inside of your microwave need to be cleaned? Here’s one way to clean your microwave.
- Microfibre cloths
- A bowl of water with a tablespoon of white vinegar.
- A lemon, sliced into two halves.
- Remove any plates and movable parts from the microwave and wash these separately, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Put the bowl with vinegar in the microwave.
- Microwave for about five minutes (high-powered microwaves may need less time – the inner walls should be steamed up when your allotted minutes are up).
- Wipe out the inside of the microwave with a microfibre cloth – be careful, as the bowl and the water will be hot!
- The vinegary steam will loosen any dirt on the microwave’s inside.
- Next (or as an alternative), chop your lemon in half and microwave it for a minute or two.
The microwaved lemon and vinegar will kill off any germs lurking amongst the dirt, and loosen up anything badly carbonised. The lemon will also add a pleasant scent to the inside of your microwave. For more tips on how to clean your microwave, try this article.