When you are organising a Christmas dinner, your fridge freezer plays a massive part in the prep and also for storing leftovers afterwards. This article will give you all the tips you need for defrosting a fridge freezer just in time for the holidays.
What do you need for defrosting a fridge freezer?
There are a few key things that you will need to get started defrosting a fridge freezer, these include:
- A large bowl
- Fragrance-free washing up liquid
- Hot water
- Vinegar or baking soda
- Wash cloth
- Kitchen roll
How do you defrost a freezer?
Following these 10 steps will help you quickly and easily get your fridge freezer defrosted and ready to store all your Christmas food shopping. It takes just a couple of hours to get your fridge freezer ready to go.
- Turn off the fridge freezer and unplug the unit.
- Remove the drawers and racks, and leave them to come to room temperature.
- Place a bowl and newspaper beneath your fridge freezer to catch any water that may leak as the ice melts.
- Use fragrance-free washing up liquid or other products like Cif to clean the drawers and racks, rinse thoroughly and leave to dry.
- Make a homemade cleaning solution with equal parts of hot water and vinegar; or two tablespoons of baking soda with 1L of hot water.
- Wipe down the inside of your fridge freezer with a sponge or cloth, applying the cleaning solution as needed. Try using an old toothbrush to gently scrub the solution into stubborn areas before wiping them clean.
- Wipe down the doors and door seal.
- Dry your fridge freezer with a paper towel.
- Put all the shelves and drawers back after they and the interior of your fridge freezer are completely dry.
- Turn the unit back on, and fill it with all the Christmas goodies!
Safety tips when you defrost fridge freezer interiors
There are a few things you need to bear in mind when you’re defrosting a fridge freezer.
- Don’t scrape the ice out, this can damage the fridge freezer and also potentially cause you to hurt yourself.
- Do make sure the fridge freezer is turned off and unplugged. As ice melts it turns into water, and water does not mix well with electricity.
- Don’t use disinfectants like bleach as they contain chemicals which could make you ill if they come in contact with your food.
- Do maintain the cleanliness of your fridge freezer by wiping it down regularly as this will speed up the process when defrosting a fridge freezer.
Now you know how long to defrost a freezer for, you can get it done and sorted in time for your next food shop. Once it has been defrosting, you know that your freezer is ready to go for those all-important Christmas snacks and food whether it’s just for you or an upcoming event.
- Unplug your fridge freezer before cleaning.
- Remove drawers and racks to clean them separately.
- Clean your fridge freezer interior using products like Cif or homemade cleaners.
- Follow the instructions on any cleaning products when using.
Once you defrost fridge freezer interiors take the opportunity to clean them. Use products like Cif to get a thorough clean but be sure to wipe down after.