Ever walked into somebody else’s kitchen and marvelled at how clean all their surfaces are, or envied the immaculate condition of another person’s cooker and wondered what their secret cleaning method was? We all want a clean, hygienic kitchen area – but finding the time to keep it show-room perfect is probably the most difficult task of all. Here are a few strategies for effective kitchen cleaning that take the effort out of the process:
1. A Well-stocked Supply Cupboard with Kitchen Cleaning Products
A well-stocked supply cupboard means no more hunting around at the back of cupboards for that kitchen cleaner you’re sure you saw somewhere. You’ll always be ready to clean!
- Set up a dedicated ‘cleaning supply’ area somewhere easily accessible within the kitchen itself. Perhaps underneath the sink, or in a large storage cabinet.
- Put all your kitchen cleaning products – disinfectants, heavy-duty oven cleaners, metal surface cleaner, and so on – into a single plastic storage box or drawer.
- Keep cleaning equipment – like gloves, cloths, scrubbers, and mop heads – together, where they won’t get misplaced.
- Check regularly that your cleaning products and equipment aren’t about to run out, and make sure to buy in extra supplies in advance.
2. Small, Scheduled Bursts of Kitchen Cleaning
Ever invited friends or relatives to come around for dinner, only to realize that the kitchen is filthy and needs a couple of dedicated hours of cleaning to make it appear decent once more? It is more efficient (and less stressful) if you set aside small, regular periods of time for dedicated “kitchen maintenance” rather than attempting those large, energy-intensive purging bursts on an irregular basis.
Choose a realistic slot in your schedule for basic kitchen cleaning activities. For example, set aside 20 minutes after dinner on Wednesday to disinfect all surfaces and mop the floor. The morning of the weekly shop is a good time to clean the fridge and food cupboards, because supplies will be at their lowest and that means fewer objects to shuffle around during the wipe-down.
The more you stick to the set schedule, the easier it will be to clean your kitchen – and the less time you will devote to kitchen cleaning during the rest of the week.