Properly loading your dishwasher is a mundane skill, but it can help make a difference in your household and your daily routine.
Our lives are so busy with managing jobs, family, and self-care that loading the dishwasher often becomes an expedient, see-where-it-fits task without much thought behind it. However, learning some tips for ergonomic dish placement, as well as the best dishwashing products to get them squeaky clean using renewable, plant-based ingredients, can make a big difference.
With that in mind, here are some efficiency tips, dishwasher-loading tricks, and dishwashing product suggestions that can bring your dishwashing experience to new heights.
Has your cleaning regime changed during the Covid-19 lockdown?
Sustainability: Tips to help protect the environment when using your dishwasher
- Turn off the hot water and run your dishwasher with only cold water to help conserve both energy and money.
- Only run your dishwasher when it’s full so that you run fewer cycles and make the most of each. Although, make sure it’s not overcrowded.
- To help conserve water, wipe off dirty dishes with a sponge or wet paper towel before loading instead of rinsing off each dish.
- Skip the drying cycle. A good portion of your dishwasher’s energy usage comes from heating and drying. To conserve energy, simply open up the dishwasher after the wash cycle and let your dishes air dry overnight.
- Consider handwashing bigger items like pots, pans, and mixing bowls. They take up a lot of room in your dishwasher and will potentially lead to more washing cycles for the same number of items.
How to load your dishwasher effectively
- Since your dishwasher’s hoses and jets spray from the centre out, line up plates in the bottom half of the dishwasher so that they’re facing in toward the centre, making sure they aren’t touching or covering each other.
- Place cups and glasses on top at a slight angle so the water can rush in from below.
- Always place plastic items such as storage containers and water bottles on the top shelf where it’s not as hot. This will help protect the plastic’s integrity. Always check with manufacturer on whether the item in question is dishwasher-safe first.
- Place cutlery and small utensils in baskets handle-down and ensure you’re not over-crowding. Be careful when placing knives in these baskets and be mindful of where they are when you empty your clean dishwasher.
- Hand-wash wooden cutting boards as they can become damaged easily in the dishwasher.
What are the best products to use in a dishwasher?
Pre-measured powdered detergent packs are super-convenient for dishwashing. Just drop one into the soap container and you’re done! Choose packs that power away stuck-on food without the use of synthetic fragrances, dyes, or chlorine bleach.
If you’re contending with some seriously dirty dishes, pre-wash the items. Choose a washing-up liquid that fights grease with the power of plant-based ingredients and has refreshing scents made from 100% essential oils and botanical ingredients that add a little bit of nature to your day.