- Always clean off any excess ketchup before putting the stained item of clothing into a washing machine.
- Pre-treat the stain by gently rubbing the detergent into the fabric.
- Use a good detergent which guarantees full stain removal.
Many kids love a big blob of tomato ketchup on their burger, or in a little dish to dip their chips in to. There is, however, a downside to tomato ketchup – the stains. Tomato sauces have a very deep, rich red colour that can wreak havoc on white clothing, but here are some strategies to get those nasty ketchup stains out.
How to Remove Ketchup Stains
If the clothing that you’ve stained can be popped in the washing machine then you have absolutely nothing to worry about. In fact, removing ketchup stains isn’t actually any more difficult than removing any other type of stain. For quick and simple stain removal, follow this step-by-step guide on how to get ketchup out of clothing:
- First, remove any excess ketchup gently before continuing – use a clean cloth, or flush it with cool water.
- Then, check the care label of your garment for advice on how to wash it. If it says ‘dry clean only’, you’ll need to take it into the dry cleaner’s.
- If you’re pressed for time, you could just pop the clothing in the wash with a good detergent such as Persil small & mighty bio, which guarantees full stain removal for tomato sauce.
- You can also pre-treat the ketchup stain – if you’re using Persil small & mighty, then just use the Stain Eraser Ball to gently rub the detergent into the fabric.
- Then, wash as normal for best results.
Now you know how to get rid of ketchup stains on clothes, you and your kids can enjoy a big dollop of ketchup with your dinner without fear of any spillages! For more, take a look at our full guide for getting different kinds of stains out of different fabrics.