- Make sure all the children stay in the garden at all times
- Fence off ponds and dangerous plants
- Make sure they’ll have a soft landing if they fall from anything climbable
- No degree of preparation can make things completely safe, so always supervise
It’s great for kids to get out into the fresh air, and a birthday party is the perfect time for it – but taking on the safety of other parents’ children is a big responsibility. Here are some child-friendly garden ideas to make sure everything goes safely and smoothly.
Pond child safety
If you have a garden pond, safety is a big concern. Your own children may be able to swim, but there’s no guarantee that your guests will be able to, and even children who can swim can get into difficulty trying to help others.
- Installing a fence around the pond will help to prevent children from falling in. Make sure the fence isn’t too climbable, and don’t install it at the very edge of the water. If a child does climb over and falls into a pool, it’ll be easier for them to get out if there’s a space of level ground.
- Consider installing wire mesh over the top of a pond for child safety. If you’d prefer not to have visible mesh over the water, you can arrange to have a safety grid installed slightly below the surface.
- Even with garden pond safety measures in place, make sure children don’t play unsupervised around the pond. Fences can be climbed, and some kids might try to see whether they can get under the mesh. No matter how well you prepare, children will always find unexpected way to break through your plans. The best way to ensure their safety is to keep an eye on them.
With these child-friendly garden ideas, you should be able to make sure everything goes smoothly, and you and the kids will have a great day to look back on. Now you've got the safety measures in place, it's time for the fun stuff: check out our best ideas for decorating your garden for a party here!