- Use a live pigeon trap with seed as bait to catch pigeons humanely.
- Pepper powder, chilli solution or spices are a great way to get rid of pigeons.
- Seal off entrances to chimneys, attics and more to stop them nesting.
- Add reflective products or wind chimes to your garden.
Having pigeons nesting in your roof is best avoided for a number of reasons, from possible damage to your property to hygiene considerations. This article will provide tips and advice on how to deter pigeons as well as humane ways to get rid of pigeons from your home and prevent them coming back.
How do you get rid of pigeons?
If you’re wondering how to get rid of pigeons on roof tops, there are some humane methods you can try:
- Locate their nesting spots and set a (humane)trap. The best way to do this is to use their favourite seed as bait within a live pigeon trap. Make sure you have a ladder set up near their favourite roosting spot so you can get to them when they land in the trap. It may be worth leaving a pigeon or two in the trap as they are intelligent, cautious creatures and are more likely to go into the trap if invited by other pigeons to eat the seed.
- Use spices to get rid of pigeons. If you spread spices, pepper powder or a chilli solution around it will make the roosting spots uncomfortable for pigeons and they’ll find alternative spots elsewhere.
- If you’re having trouble getting rid of your pigeon problem, ask a pest controller to help. If everything you’ve tried has failed to work, or you have way too many pigeons to sort alone, a pest controller will be able to help.
Now you’ve learned how to keep pigeons away, click here to find out how to remove bird poop without having to touch it!
Top tips for how to keep pigeons away
Once you have removed pigeons from your home, there are so eco-friendly, humane options to ensure you keep them away:
- Invest in a sonic repellent device. These are widely used to pigeon-proof homes, as they are particularly eco-friendly. They work by emitting a sonic wave which pigeons will steer clear of.
- Attach an oversized net to cover where pigeons land. If you’re not bothered by pigeons landing but want to protect your home from further damage, this is a great option.
- Make it uncomfortable in places they would usually land. Spike strips are a great way to do this, as they usually find somewhere else to roost if they see these.
- Waterproof strings will prevent them being able to balance. This is an important way to stop them being able to nest.
- Make sure you don’t feed them and keep your garden clear of food sources. Pigeons can become a major pest if you make the mistake of feeding them, as they will always come back to spots which they think are a good source of food.
- Make sure you seal off entrances to attics and chimneys. They are places pigeons will use to nest, so close the ways they can enter with steel mesh caps over the holes.
- Add reflective products and wind chimes to your garden. Pigeon eyes get irritated by reflection and they don’t particularly like a lot of noise.
Pigeons can create a mess, spread fungal diseases and be super destructive. Now you have our top tips for how to get rid of pigeons and keep them away, you can be sure to live pigeon-free in your home.