- Use trees, flowers and more to add life to the space.
- Utilise all the space, including railings and walls.
- Hang up fairy lights for night enjoyment.
- Use light coloured or reflective furniture to make the space feel bigger.
- Choose foldable furniture for times it needs to be put away.
Having a balcony is a huge asset no matter what size it is! Whether it is the closest thing you have to a garden or just a place to the sunset on a summer’s evening, a little bit of décor and upkeep is all you need to make the most of this space. Read on to discover our top small balcony ideas to maximise your space to make it comfortable and inviting.
Top balcony decoration ideas
If your balcony is the only area you have as an outside garden space, you may be looking for some great balcony garden ideas. Here are our top tips for decorating your space and creating the perfect balcony garden.
- Add a bit of greenery. The easiest way to add a dash of life to your balcony is to invest in some planters with trees or shrubs. If you don’t have space on the balcony area itself, why not get herb boxes to hang on the rails and grow your own herb garden?
- Add a splash of colour. Flowers are a bright, beautiful addition to any outdoor space. Plant some daffodil bulbs which will come back each year and use other bright flowers in hanging baskets and rail boxes to brighten up your balcony and put a smile on your face.
- Consider adding height. The best way to make a small balcony feel larger is to use tall plants and trees to add a bit of height. These draw the eye up and give the illusion of a bigger space.
- Use the wall space. Whether you decide to hang pretty bunting to brighten up the space, or grow wall climbing plants, the wall space is there to be used and will allow you to add to your balcony without taking up precious space.
- String up fairy lights. The balcony is a great space to hang out for drinks with friends, so why not pop up some small fairy lights to add a bit of twinkly light to the space and make it feel cosy in the evenings?
Top balcony furniture ideas
With the following balcony ideas and tips, you can pick out the right furniture for your balcony, no matter what the size:
- Use a small table with just one or two chairs. Choosing a smaller design and having a minimal amount will ensure that your balcony doesn’t feel cluttered.
- Use a light colour. Dark colours make spaces feel smaller, so use light wood or reflective metal to give the illusion of a bigger space.
- Consider furniture with open build. Whilst a solid table or chair may be your preference, a set with open patterned metalwork and a clear top will allow you to see through and around the furniture, giving the illusion of a larger space.
- Choose furniture that can be folded away. Whilst it is nice to have furniture on your balcony to enjoy your morning coffee or the evening sunset, during some weather and seasons you may want to pack it away. Choose a set than can be folded away to reduce the space it takes up if you don’t have a garden shed or garage to store it in.
With our simple and easy balcony garden ideas and tips for adding decorations and furniture, you can be sure to make the most of the space you have – however small.