It’s never been more important to protect the planet – and together, we can do our bit to help the environment with small lifestyle changes at home. If you’re not sure how can we help the environment or what you can do specifically then we’re here to help. With our five simple changes, you can begin to reduce pollution, lower your carbon footprint, and help the Earth.
How can we help the environment?
As a society we are becoming increasingly aware of the impact our lifestyles are having on the environment. Here are five simple ways to help the environment without sacrificing everyday comforts.
- Start to reduce, reuse and recycle
If you’re wondering how to help the environment, start with the three Rs:
– Reduce – limit your consumption of resources such as gas, electricity, and water
– Reuse – avoid disposable products and give old items a second use where possible
– Recycle – turn your rubbish into something new instead of adding to landfill
You can browse our ideas for implementing the three Rs at home in this article, but here are some of our favourites:
– Check which products you can recycle at your local recycling centre
– Get items ready for recycling by rinsing out anything that contained food
– Upcycle or repurpose used bottles and containers to store leftovers or even hold items like make-up brushes
– Buy products with little to no plastic packaging or switch to recyclable options
- Lower your energy consumption
When it comes to understanding how to protect the environment, reducing your energy usage is the perfect starting point – and can even save you money! Our favourite tips include:
– Ensure your home is properly insulated
– Check the energy rating on your appliances and only use them when necessary
– Get regular boiler services
– Switch lights and appliances off at the plug
–Change your lights over to LED bulbs
– For more tips, read: Energy saving tips: How to keep warm in winter and not worry about the energy bill.
- Make changes to how you travel
Switching up your journeys by choosing to walk, scooter or cycle will make a great difference to your own personal carbon footprint. For longer journeys, consider car sharing with colleagues or friends. For holidays, try to avoid planes or long journeys and use public transport instead.
- Purchase long-life, reusable or recyclable products
The market for reusable products is constantly growing and there are many easy switches you can make including:Bamboo toothbrushes instead of plasticCloth nappies and menstrual cups instead of disposable itemsMetal straws instead of plasticCotton shopping bags instead of plastic (even thicker ‘bags for life’ are plastic!)Shampoo bars and soap bars instead of bottled toiletries
- Choose renewable energies
Renewable energies are kinder to the environment and may even offer you some financial incentives for switching – such as no road tax costs.
Try switching to clean energy by:
– Installing solar panels on your home
– Driving an electric or hybrid car
– Researching eco-friendly energy providers and switching your service
Now you have five top tips for ways to protect the environment with easy lifestyle changes there’s no reason you can’t start doing your bit. If everyone makes a few small changes, we can change the world for the better.
Help protect the environment with these core lessons:
Reduce, reuse and recycle as much as possible.
Lower your energy consumption by insulating your home, using appliances responsibly, and switching to energy-efficient choices.
Switch to reusable or plastic-free products like cloth nappies, menstrual cups, shampoo bars and bamboo toothbrushes.
Start walking to work and school to reduce your carbon footprint. Get the whole family involved by reading our article: How to reduce your carbon footprint at home.