One man’s trash is another man’s treasure, especially when it comes to unwanted furniture!
Maybe you’re downsizing to a smaller property or you’re just treating yourself to a new sofa – whatever the reason, don’t be too hasty in sending your unwanted furniture straight to the rubbish tip. Sell it or donate it to charity if it’s in good condition, or if it’s no longer fit for use, recycle it.
Read on to find out how get rid of unwanted furniture through selling, donating and recycling.
Donating Unwanted Furniture to Charity
Donating unwanted furniture to a charity or a local second-hand shop is a quick and hassle-free way of getting rid of unwanted furniture, and it has the added bonus of helping out your chosen organisation. If you are able to, drop the furniture off at the shop yourself, or arrange for a collection. Many charities and second-hand furniture shops will offer a free collection service – just call them up and arrange a date. Before you donate your unwanted furniture, make sure that it is clean and in good condition, with all its parts intact.
How to Recycle Furniture
If you want to know how to get rid of unwanted furniture that is damaged or no longer fit for use, don’t let it go to waste – recycle it instead. Removal of unwanted furniture for recycling depends on the services available in your local area. Some services will offer a curb-side collection on designated days, or they will allow you to book a limited number of free collections over a certain length of time. In other cases, you may need to pay for the collection, or drop the furniture off at your local recycling centre. Contact your local authorities for details on the furniture recycling services available near you.
How to Resell or Give Away Unwanted Furniture
If your unwanted furniture is in good condition, there’s a high chance you will be able to sell it and make some money back for yourself. Follow these tips for a successful sell.
- Wipe the furniture down, treat any stains and make sure that it is in good working order. For more detailed advice, read our guide on how to clean a sofa and remove stains from furniture.
- Take photos of the furniture from a variety of angles. Make sure that the light is good, and remove any clutter from around the furniture.
- Write down the details of the furniture, including where it’s from, how old it is, its measurements, and details of any nicks, scratches or other areas of damage.
- Establish the price that you would like to ask for. Browsing the internet for similar items should give you an idea of a reasonable price, or if it’s an antique or valuable item, arrange for it to be valued by a local auction house.
- Now decide how you would like to sell the furniture. Either place an advert in your local supermarket, advertise it on an online marketplace website, or put it up for auction at an auction house.
- Giving your furniture away for free is likely to speed up the process of getting rid of unwanted furniture. Advertise the free furniture on an online forum or on social media sites.
Now you know what to do with unwanted furniture, your next big clear-out or house move will be as stress-free as possible!
- Clean your unwanted furniture so that it is ready for sale or donation.
- Advertise your furniture online, at the local supermarket, or at an auction house. Alternatively, donate it to charity.
- If your furniture is not fit for reuse, arrange for it to be recycled.